Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will my Kurzweil PC3 work with Logic Pro 9?

I spent months looking for the right keyboard--what I mean by 'right' is one that I felt sounded best. I ended up with a Kurzweil PC3.

Before I purchase Logic Pro 9, does anyone know if I can use the sounds on board (Kurzweil objects) with Logic Pro 9, instead of using the built-in sounds (objects) in Logic Pro 9? If so, how does one do it? I don't want to use this beautiful keyboard as just a MIDI controller.

Logic Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2), Kurzweil PC3

Posted on Jan 24, 2012 2:54 PM

10 replies

Sep 29, 2012 12:10 AM in response to Kipsie

As others have mentioned...

There is no "easy" connection that will integrate the Kurzweil sounds "into" the computer... the PC3 will always be the sound generator, the sounds can then be:

1. Arranged in MIDI while monitoring the Kurzweils output, after the MIDI arrangement is finalized the audio output of the Kurzweil can be recorded as wav/aif files in Logic and mixed.

2. Logic, (as do several other DAWs) has a type of "Live" plugin the Kurzweils audio output can be sent to your soundcard and monitored through a Logic audio-channel-strip with efx and then either recorded or bounced into an audio file.

I'm not sure how many audio or digital outputs the Kurz has but you will want a good audio interface with several inputs that will allow you to mix the audio out of the Kurzweil so that it can be monitored and eventually recorded.

You will need a good audio interface.. the $2 Mac audio chip is not going to do justice.

If you haven't used a MIDI/Audio sequencer/recording system, you will have a lot to learn before this works smoothly and is second nature.

Jul 7, 2012 8:03 PM in response to Kipsie

Hello Kipsie,

I just purchased a PC3 recently and am looking for a sequencer for controlling it. Have you had success with Logic? Do you mind sharing your experiences?

I would like to know how well it works with the PC3. Is it fairly smooth? Or are there lots of missing functionality / bugs?

My main interest is in arranging orchestral pieces, and it's too cumbersome to do that on the tiny 3-line LCD on the PC3.

Thanks very much!

-Patrick

Sep 28, 2012 11:21 PM in response to CuppoJava

Like ClayG said, yes you can have Logic Pro control the PC3! The sounds are awesome, but somehow you need to hard-wire it back through your mixer's USB output or perhaps through an audio USB box, and record it as an audio channel in Logic Pro. I'm just thinking off the top of my head, and have yet to do this! Wow, orchestral pieces--for soundtracks? That's sounds awesome!

Nov 6, 2012 2:12 PM in response to Kipsie

My own setup is similar to your discussion. I use a Native Instrument Komplete 6 audio unit as the interface for both midi and audio into and out of Logic Pro 9.1.8. You can set up a Multi-channel instrument in the Logic environment, or use the External Instrument plug-in. In any case, there is a fair learning curve to get this right, but the multi-instrument in the environment is completely capable of controlling the PC3 if you set up the correct Bank change and program change messages. There is one major problem that I am having and that is using PC3 Setup mode. If you set the PC3 into Setup mode and hit some notes, it produces a midi-feedback loop between Logic and the synth, causing the PC3 to go insane if you are connected using the USB port. This is because the midi out from the PC3 is sent thru the Logic track and back out to the PC3 causing a midi feedback loop. In program mode it isn't as bad but does cause a small amount of delay echo. The only way I have got around this so far is to connect using midi cables instead of USB then when recording I disconnect the cable from the Komplete 6 to the PC3 midi in, leaving only the midi cable from the PC3 out to the Komplete for recording to Logic (while monitoring what I am playing via the PC3 audio outputs). Then when I want Logic Pro to drive the PC3, I disconnect the midi in to Komplete and reconnect the midi out to the PC3. Playing the recorded Logic track now drives the PC3 without any feedback. But, there has got to be a better way! Any ideas would be appreciated.

I think this result is because Logic always sends midi notes thru to midi output. Is there some way of preventing this?

Nov 6, 2012 3:59 PM in response to DavidSeveer

There are a few things to try, settings to adjust.

I don't have a PC3 but these are MIDI basics.

1. The PC3 may (or may not) have a setting that echoes MIDI IN to MIDI OUT, if so, disable that setting.

2. The setting you're looking for in Logic is under Settings/MIDI "Instrument Without MIDI Thru Function".

Not very clear is it? Use the Drop Down to make a selection, your Kurzweil Instrument should show up there.

Of course you aren't using both standard 5-pin MIDI cable and USB at the same time.

While you're at it, read up on the Kurzweil's "Local Control". When off, local control separates the PC3's keyboard from it's internal synthesizer engine. Local OFF: With no midi cables plugged in the keyboard will not make a sound because the internal keyboard/synth connection has been disabled, however, the Keyboard will still transmit MIDI data and the internal synth will still respond to incoming MIDI data. With Local OFF enabled, you can only play the PC3 by echoing MIDI through a computer. What this does is prevent a doubling of notes, with Local on and MIDI thru enabled, the Kurzweil is played both by it's internal kybrd connection and MIDI, essentially cutting the polyphony in half and giving a phased output sound. This is fundementally unrelated the the MIDI Loop problem.

Nov 7, 2012 3:04 PM in response to Pancenter

Thanks for the advice Pancenter, especially regarding the Thru function.

No, when I'm connected via midi cables I have the USB disconnected. What I've been trying to achieve is to record the PC3 midi to a Logic track while hearing the PC3 audio out to a keyboard amp. This works fine as long as I have the midi in to the PC3 disconnected during recording. I was hoping there was a solution where I could leave both midi in and midi out connected to/from my Mac while recording and get around the midi feedback loop through some solution in the environment - like possibly sending the track midi output to a fader connected to nothing or disabling the midi thru for that track. I'll try out your suggestion of setting the "Instrument without MIDI Thru Function". I'll also check out your suggestion regarding LOCAL OFF, which I was aware of but am not sure whether I tried it out. Thanks again.

Nov 7, 2012 6:41 PM in response to CuppoJava

Another idea: If you have an iPod Touch or iPad, you can use it as a MIDI controller using the USB adapter of Apple's Camera Connection Kit via the app, ThumbJam! Thumbjam also has split instrumentation, perhaps using one controlling ThumbJam and the other Kurzweil. Here's what i did: plug the bigger end of a USB cable to the back of the Kurzweil, the smaller typical USB end to the USB camera adapter, plug the adapter into the iDevice, wait 10 seconds for ThumbJam to recognize the keyboard, go to ThumbJam Prefs, click MIDI, scroll down to Kurzweil toggle switch to ON, and jam away! I haven't figured out how to play loops from ThumbJam yet, but you can have the keyboard save it. I hope this inspires!

Will my Kurzweil PC3 work with Logic Pro 9?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.