Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why Do I have Two Identifical Albums in my Photo Library?

In order to control what photos I want on my iPhone, I've set up a folder on my desktop computer called "Photos for iPhone." That's the folder I have designated in my sync-ing prefs in iTunes.

That worked fine until some system upgrade suddenly decided I need TWO albums.

I used to sync the photos from the folder on my desktop into the "Photo Library" ablum on the iPhone successfully.

Now, not only does it do that, but it puts the same group of photos into an album ON the iPhone called "Photos for iPhone" ...

Am I missing something or is the iPhone suddenly messing up?

iPhone 4, iOS 5

Posted on Jan 24, 2012 5:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2012 5:57 PM

Photo Library contains the pictures (actually pointers to all the pictures) from all of the folders synced from your computer. Since you only have synced one folder (Photos from iPhone) it only contains pointers to those pictures, and appears to be a redundant album. If you had multiple folders it would contain all of those pictures too. This is normal.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 24, 2012 5:57 PM in response to KatieOConnell

Photo Library contains the pictures (actually pointers to all the pictures) from all of the folders synced from your computer. Since you only have synced one folder (Photos from iPhone) it only contains pointers to those pictures, and appears to be a redundant album. If you had multiple folders it would contain all of those pictures too. This is normal.

Jan 24, 2012 5:57 PM in response to KatieOConnell

Photo Library is not a duplicate album. It's just like a thumb nail of all your synced photos. If you add another folder for syncing, say "iPhone Screen shots", that album will appear in your Photos App, and the photos from that will appear inside Photo Library. Photo Library is jus like a "list" or "preview" of all your photos. Memory usage doesn't double. http://iphone-and-i.blogspot.com/2012/01/how-to-sync-photos-using-itunes.html

Oct 18, 2012 3:12 AM in response to unicohijo86

It may be "normal" but it is not acceptable.

Lets say I have four folders that I sync from my PC to my iPhone. iTunes then creates four folders on my iPhone with the actual photos and presumbaly the same folder names that are on my PC. Then iTunes creats another folder with pointers to all the photos, well the synced photos, not the camera roll. (Why not the camera roll too if this is such a great feature) Yes I am so dumb that I can't figure out which folder has the picture I want (even though my folder names are descriptive of the contents; Family, Friends, Work, Hot Dude's) so I go to this catch all folder to find my picture.

All it is is CLUTTER, this, like so many other bugs (poor features), should be left to the user to decide, not Apple. I don't want it there and I defenitely don't need it there.

Why Do I have Two Identifical Albums in my Photo Library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.