Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HELP! Lost file in outlook temp!

Yesterday I have worked all day on a word file that I opened from an email. I was sure to have saved it under a new name on my mac, but obviously it was saved only in the outlook temp files and now I can't find it anymore! I guess it has been deleted automatically when I switched off my computer last night, is there any way to restore it?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.3)

Posted on Jan 25, 2012 12:59 AM

46 replies

Jul 21, 2013 6:57 PM in response to mcchampions

Easy Find Worked!!!!! I could not find the file ANYWHERE using the Mac Finder. Nor would it come up via Word. The only way I could see it was by opening the original email file and pressing "Save As." Therefore, I knew it was there in Outlook Temp. The problem was trying to find it and access it.

Easy Find did the trick! It downloaded really fast and it found the document in less than a minute. Make sure to click the box that says "Invisible Files and Folders."

Nov 25, 2013 7:12 PM in response to BDAqua

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!! I could not find an important and time-sensitive document that I knew I had saved but it was not coming up in Recent Documents, in searches - nowhere. I was sure that I had lost my document and was starting to try to recreate it - a task that would have taken several hours. But, fortunately, I found this page and downloaded Easy Find and within seconds, it turned up my document in a temporary Outlook folder.

I cannot thank you enough!!!

Jan 29, 2012 10:45 AM in response to julden

If you really did save it, you can open Word and from the File menu select "Open recent ..." and it should show the last files you were working on. If you did save it, the saved file will show up and you will be able to open it from that menu. Another place to try is under the Apple Menu, "Recent Items," which will show programs and documents recently opened. You can open those things right from that menu, even if you don't know where they are on your Mac, then you can save them to a location you want.

One place to look for tmp files is in your Documents Folder, inside the Microsoft User Data folder. Look for tmp files there or inside any of the folders within that one, especially folders with names like "recovery" or "autorecovery." Also, look in your Trash, especially if there is a folder there called "Recovered files/items" where sometimes tmp files end up when a computer is restarted. Some tmp files, however, cannot be opened or used, but sometimes they can be opened.

Jul 17, 2012 11:42 AM in response to BDAqua

Thanks so much for this post! You saved me so much time and frustration. I'm not sure how I saved a file to the Outlook Temp folder, but there is was - with my hours of work already saved and ready. I was searching folders for hours and EasyFinder picked it out and served it up in under 15 seconds. Amazing!

Keep recommendations like those coming!

HELP! Lost file in outlook temp!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.