Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac mail disappears

I did a pram reset and then all my mail in the Mail program is gone. I was able to recuperate two accounts but not my primary account. under ˜/library/mail there are only folders for the two I recovered and not my mail folder. Why is this? It has actually never been there...

Someone please help me to recuperate my email. Why does this happen?

Thanks

PowerBook, iOS 4.3.2

Posted on Jan 25, 2012 1:52 AM

45 replies

Jan 25, 2012 6:45 AM in response to disfasia

Why did you reset the PRAM? Doing that would not cause mail to disappear, so something else is going on that you're not saying. What's the size of your hard drive, and how much free space do you have on it?

You have three Library folders, which one are you looking in, how many Mail accounts did you have setup, and which specific version of Mac OS X 10.6 are you running?

Jan 25, 2012 7:00 AM in response to kurt188

I reset PRAM for another issue completely. But thereafter is when all my mail went away.

My hard drive is 300 Go and I have 126 Go remaining.

I am in the library account and of my three acounts only one shows up. My primary mail folder is not htere.

I am running 10.6.8

Any help you could lent me would be greatly appreciated. I am freaking out!

Jan 25, 2012 7:09 AM in response to disfasia

You mean Home/Library/Mail isn't there? That's not possible. Or, do you mean that the account folder inside of Home/Library/Mail isn't there?

If you mean the latter, there's still no way that a PRAM reseet would make that disappear. Did you check the Trash; did you try searching your hard drive for that folder, or a folder that starts with whatever type of account you have (POP or IMAP) to find them all?

Do you have a backup of your system from before this happened?

Jan 25, 2012 7:17 AM in response to kurt188

Of my three accounts, two are there in the /mail folder andone is not there. in fact, it has never been there. the two there are POP- followed by the name... my main folder is not there...

no I have no backup. which folder should i search in the hard drive. I have been through the mail folder? I try looking for .emlx files but this does not work with the finder. how can i look for these files?

nothing is in the trash.

thanks

Jan 25, 2012 7:23 AM in response to disfasia

Of my three accounts, two are there in the /mail folder andone is not there. in fact, it has never been there.

If the third one has never been there, then where has it been? You could not have had an account folder located outside of Home/Library/Mail and have it work; Mail does not permit that. If it was a new account you setup, then it wasn't setup correctly, which would explain why it's not there.

If this mystery third account folder is a POP account, then you'd need to search your entire hard drive for anything that begins with or contains 'POP-'.

Jan 25, 2012 7:45 AM in response to disfasia

If there was no POP forlder for your main account, that means it was an IMAP account, so then you'd need to search for any folder beginning with IMAP-.

Since that directory is hidden by default, you can still search it by downloading and using EasyFind. Just type in what you're looking for, click the options on the left to search 'Only Files', the Operator is 'Phrase', leave Comparison unchecked, and Include should be 'Invisible Files & Folders'.

Jan 25, 2012 8:38 PM in response to disfasia

Email accounts are always in Home/Library/Mail; that's where Mail creates them and expects them to be when it checks for mail. Without it being there, it can't check for Mail.

Do you have an external drive connected to your Mac? If so, the only other possibility is that you could have moved your mail to an external drive, but you'd have to move the entire folder and then perform some other steps to let Mail know to put your mail there. I doubt you did that.

You can search for .emlx files with EasyFind; just remember that these files aren't hidden, so you should adjust your search criteria accordingly and search all connected hard drives for anything that contains that file extension.

Jan 25, 2012 8:48 PM in response to kurt188

Thanks so much kurt!

I tried to upload a window shot so people could see that I have two folders int he /mail folder but my main account is not there. The account is active with all the newer emails in it since yesterday so I am confused.

Here are the files in the /mail folder:

attachments (folder)

availablefeeds

backuptod.plist

bundles (folder)

bundles (disabled) (also a folder)

defaultcounts

evelope index

lsmmap2

mailboxes (folder...and i checked that and this is not my third box which is missing)

messagerules.plist

messagerules.plist.backup

messageuidsalreadydownloaded3

metadata(folder)

openedattachments.plist

pop folder for account #2

pop folder for account #3

RSS (folder)

searchhistory.plist

signatures (folder)

smartmailboxes.plist

smartmailboxes.plist.backup

versionedsmartmailboxes.plist

versionedsmartmailboxes.plist.backup

I am downloading EasyFind now and hope this helps. Could the new inbox have overwritten the old?

Thanks again.

Jan 25, 2012 8:59 PM in response to disfasia

At this point, I have no idea what's going on. Mail has to put the messages where the account folder was created; it cannot put them anywhere else. Since folders don't magically disappear by themselves, and I doubt you know how to make one invisible, I'm stumped.

Could the new inbox have overwritten the old?

Yes, but only if the email address is identical to the one that was there before. If that were the case, then all your previous messages might have been wiped out, too. So if that's what you did, that's a no-no.

Jan 25, 2012 8:59 PM in response to disfasia

I have downloaded and searched with EasyFind (thanks for letting me know about that!) and I searched for "Pop-" and got only my two folders. I then searched for "imap" in case ... and that did not come up. Now I am totally confused... I also searched for the emlx files and it came up only those for those two folders.

Yet, I do have a third account and it is running on Apple Mail.

Could there be a problem since two accounts are from the same domain name? The one that is lost/hidden is from the same domain as one of the visible accounts... I am so confused and never had such a problem so I am at a loss as to what to do. I read yesterday everywhere online and came up with no answers...

Any ideas? Thanks again!

Jan 25, 2012 9:02 PM in response to kurt188

Dear Kurt

I did not remake a new account yet, but I did try things that were suggested online such as remove the envelope index.

Yet my "missing" folder email is still working even now. I am nervous to use Mail if I will constantly lose email (this is the third time in a year I have lost all my email!)...

I am racking my brains...and am very saddened to have lost so many emails--especially my business emails.

Thanks for your ideas!

mac mail disappears

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.