Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Invisible Filter in "Places" View: How to clear it?

Hello all,

all of a sudden I am having trouble with the "Places" View (from the Toolbar, not from the Inspector).

User uploaded file

When I display any folder, project, or the Photos View, and select "Places" from the Toolbar, the map is empty and only the images without geotags are displayed in the Filmstrip; the result is exactly as if an invisible Filter were applied, that selects only the videos and images without geotags, whereas the Places View from the Library displays all 20000 images correctly. All visible filters all thru the folder hierarchie are cleared;I tried several variations of Frank Caggiano's neat trick to clear invisible filters in Photos View (Correct AnswerRe: Photos not showing up in search), but the double double reverse Caggiano does not seem to help here. Neither did trashing preferences, rebooting, switching libraries, repairing permission, nor repairing the library.

BTW: the problem is the same with all libraries - old and new - in my user account on this MBP;

Any suggestions, before I go to the trouble of reinstalling Aperture or Lion?

Regards

Léonie

P.S.: the trouble the poster has in this thread looks very similar to me, but I did not want to hijack the thread: Aperture and Places does not work

Aperture 3.2.2

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2), 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 8 GB 13''

Posted on Jan 25, 2012 4:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2012 6:07 AM

Update: I just found out, that the problem only occurs in my account, so I trashed the

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Aperture.plist once again (I wonder what went wrong the first time I did it) and now all pins and images show again as they should 🙂 and this thread appears to be misnamed: not really an invisible filter problem

Solved -

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 25, 2012 6:07 AM in response to léonie

Update: I just found out, that the problem only occurs in my account, so I trashed the

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Aperture.plist once again (I wonder what went wrong the first time I did it) and now all pins and images show again as they should 🙂 and this thread appears to be misnamed: not really an invisible filter problem

Solved -

Jan 25, 2012 6:43 AM in response to fibot

You are looking at the System Library, you need to open your User Library:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Aperture.plist

the "tilde~" is short for your Home Folder. To open your User Library go to the Finder "Go" menu, hold down the alt/option⌥-key until the Library is shown in the drop-down menu, then select it.

Navigate to Application Support.

Regards

Léonie

Jan 25, 2012 6:58 AM in response to léonie

**** ya! It works. So I try to reconstruct what happended.

As the first Startup of Aperture, it asked me If I want that apple sent my data to apple to get the Geoinformation. I confirmed no. Because of that I got no access to the map. First start up of Aperture was long time ago and I forget about doing this. And I think there was no possibility to change this first answer in any option menu. Now I deleted the com.apple.Aperture.plist in my the library of my home directory. By the next startup of Aperture it asked me again if Iwant that apple sent data for the geoinformation. I said yes and now maps are working. Thanks a lot!!!!!

Jan 25, 2012 7:38 AM in response to 1 Open Loop

I am not sure about that - that is why I refrained from commenting. I never said "no" to Apple, so I do not know for sure, if that could have adverse ramifications. And "Advanced > Look up places automatically" has always been turned on for all my accounts.

However, a missing "Places look-up" cannot explain the hidden "filter" effect we both observed - that the browser did not show any images that have been geo tagged, only images without location tags were visible in the film strip.

My preferences must have been corrupted for a different reason, anyway.

Cheers

Léonie

Jan 25, 2012 8:35 AM in response to 1 Open Loop

User uploaded file

The dialogue says, what will be sent to Apple: the GPS coordinates of the photos.

I tried on a different account, what would happen, if I said "NO" for once. The paces view shows a screen, similar to the screen you see, when you are offline, but turning places on in the "Advanced" Preferences enabled all again. With turning "Places" on, you will enable sending the GPS coordinates - with out warning. 🙂

Léonie

Invisible Filter in "Places" View: How to clear it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.