Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where is the Java runtime .jar?

What is the name and what is the location of the Java runtime .jar file?

I'm trying to find this because of a conflict between Mathematica (version 8.0.4) and McAfee Security. Apparently, on-access scan of some Java-related files i preventing necessary communication between Mathematica's "front end" and its "kenel" calculating engine that uses Java for the communication. And definitively turning off McAfee on-access scan allows the communication whereas enabling it (the normal state) prevents it.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 3.4GHz Corei7, 16GB, SSD + 2T HD

Posted on Jan 25, 2012 7:08 AM

2 replies

Jan 25, 2012 8:38 PM in response to murrayE

Thanks to a further web search, I now know the name and location of the Java runtime (at least under Snow Leopard):

/System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk

And, in fact, putting that, along with the Mathematica files themselves, on the list of exclusions for on-access scan, the conflict between Mathematica and McAfee has now disappeared.

P.S. I don't want to get too involved into the theologoical debate as to whether one needs "anti-virus" software for OS X. Because I have the feeling that those who say no may simply be unwilling to admit that their favorite OS, like any system exposed at all to the greater world, is susceptible to the machinations of evil-doers. I do understand that no virus per se has been found in the wild on OS X systems; at least, I'll stipulate that. But so far as I understand operating systems, they are all susceptible to malware of various kinds -- which is why even sysadmins of Linux and other *nix systems have to take defensive and, sometimes, offensive maneuvers to ward off malware, intrusions, etc.

Where is the Java runtime .jar?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.