Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you import songs from iTunes

I can't figure out how to import my songs from iTunes to GarageBand. Please help!

iPad 2 Wi-Fi

Posted on Jan 25, 2012 7:28 AM

9 replies

Jan 25, 2012 11:49 AM in response to KevTar

The import feature requires uncompressed audio in AIFF, WAV, CAF or Apple Loops format at 16bit, 44.1 kHz. Add a file in one of these formats into the GarageBand file sharing section of iTunes. Other file types and bitrates will be ignored by the GarageBand app.

To import the clip into a GarageBand project on your iOS device you need to open a song, switch to the tracks layout if necessary, then tap on the loop icon, click the Audio Files tab, then tap & hold on a file to drag it into position on the tracks layout.

tt2

May 12, 2012 10:55 AM in response to turingtest2

Hi, I'm having this problem too. I'm using GB for ipad2 and am new to it. Someone emailed me his own GB song, which I now have in my Music file on the ipad2, but I cant figure out how to import it into GB so that I can add tracks to it. I tried the "copy from iTunes" command, but get the message "No songs are available to copy." I tried creating a new song, opening the tracks layout, and tapping the loop icon as you suggested, but I don't see an Audio Files tab anywhere. Any suggestions?

May 12, 2012 4:13 PM in response to jamesandkatiesdad

Sorry, I've confused the issue. GarageBand for iOS can export a project as a .band folder, in principle for sharing or backing up. At present these files cannot be reimported using iTunes for Windows, but they can on a Mac?!

GarageBand can also export as an AIFF audio file. These files can be reimported to GarageBand, but as a single track of audio rather than a project with individual parts that can be edited.

tt2

May 12, 2012 5:28 PM in response to turingtest2

I'm sure I'm the one who wasn't clear in the initial post. So my situation is:

1. I have a PC with iTunes. There, I have an .m4a audio file which is a GarageBand song a friend made.

2. I have an iPad2 with GarageBand. I was able to connect the iPad to the PC and transfer the .m4a file onto the iPad, and it now shows up in my music library on the iPad.

3. However, I can't figure out how to get GarageBand on the iPad to read the .m4a file.

So... is it just impossible to get GarageBand to find/read that .m4a file? Do I need to tell my friend to re-export his song as a .band folder and try again?

Thanks for all of your help and sorry to be taking so much of your time.

Jun 10, 2012 11:50 PM in response to turingtest2

I'm in the exact situation where I want to re-import a GB file that was originally created on iPhone and then modified on GB on my friends Mac.

The Apple support page simply says this cannot be done, but I think there's more to it than that. I think the only problem is that windows reads the .band package as a folder. So when you click "Add..." in the file sharing window for GB in iTunes, you get a windows explorer that won't let you add the xxxx.band because it sees it as a folder and cannot be selected, only opened.

I think this can be solved by changing that folder into a file in the windows file system. On a Mac this is easy for me because it's just a few simple UNIX commands, but I can't find out how to do this in windows, and the obvious way (properties) can't do this. Do you know how to do this? I feel like it's kind of ridiculous if this isn't possible, but then again it is windows. It seems really stupid that the barrier here is windows explorer.

And to answer the question why am I even bothering to do this on windows in the first place, I'm waiting for my new Mac to be announced at WWDC so I can buy it. Until then, I want to continue working on my song!

Thanks!!

How do you import songs from iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.