Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ADVICE NEEDED Apple TV and Airport Express vs Cable company modem

In process of buying Apple TV and need some advice. I have a cable moodem and am wondering if I should use that for Apple TV or should I also purchase airport express to use with Cable modem. I currently do not have any airplay devices but might in future. Recomendations about setup would be great.

Itunes Match-OTHER, iOS 5.0.1, imatch missing albums

Posted on Jan 25, 2012 7:56 AM

5 replies

Jan 25, 2012 10:05 AM in response to edr1971

I suppose you could connect the Apple TV to your home network with a LAN cable...then have your PC wired to the same network...this would allow you to download movies, Netflix and YouTube from the internet to the Apple TV and also to play music from iTunes on your PC....but one of the things I really like about my new Apple TV is the interaction with iOS devices...it is great to mirror the desktop from an iPad 2, it is great to show pictures etc. from the same iPad...I think you'd miss a lot if you didn't enable wi-fi...it seems like you could setup a wi-fi access point in your home for a very modest cost, and just connect the downlink from the wi-fi network to the hub of your cable modem...or your ISP might have an integrated wi-fi system you can purchase...when you setup wi-fi on Apple TV, you just need to know the name(SSID) of the wi-fi network and any password you might have..it works great. The instruction book, though tiny, does a pretty good job of explaining stuff

Jan 25, 2012 10:37 AM in response to edr1971

I am not a big fan of the WiFi implementation in service provider supplied modems. Usually it is mediocre to poor hardware. But if it is working fine for you there is no reason why you need to get the Express right away. An Express is a good way to add more AirPlay speakers. You can not send the audio from an ATV 2 to the Express, however you can send audio from iTunes to multiple AirPlay speakers as well as your iPhone/iPad to the Express. Use Apple's Remote app to control iTunes from the iPhone and AirPlay speakers makes a pretty good setup.

Once you get rolling with an iTunes/Airplay/ATV setup you may find the limitations with your modem's WiFi. If you start experiencing audio dropouts or buffering video from local media you may want to upgrade to a better WiFi router. Upgrading the WiFi will not help any issues with a slow internet connection though.

ADVICE NEEDED Apple TV and Airport Express vs Cable company modem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.