Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow download speeds on iPad2, all other devices fine. Please help

Hello - I am experiencing download speeds of under 1 Mbps on my iPad 2 and am hoping the Apple community could help troubleshoot. My wifi network is set up using a Time Capsule (with the built-in router) and extended through the house with two Airport Express units. The maximum speed under optimal conditions is 12 Mbps. Up until this past Friday, my wifi connectivity and download speeds were fine on the iPad. I traveled this weekend, used my iPad on a friend's network (with decent speeds), and since I got back the performance has been horrible. I reset the network settings on the iPad, forgot my network then reconnected, and reset the Time Capsule and modem. This morning I was averaging over 10 Mbps on my iPhone 4S on multiple tests and the most I got from my iPad was 0.83 Mbps. The iPad has been running 5.0.1 for a while. If you need any additional information on my setup please ask. Thank you in advance.

iPad 2, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Jan 25, 2012 8:19 AM

2 replies

Mar 20, 2012 6:22 PM in response to MS113

I found that my old G5 was speed testing at 10MBPS which is my download speed. However, my I Pad 2 and New IPad were half that. Here is how I fixed the problem. Open Airport Utility. Click on the first (I have three express). At the bottom click on manual setup. Go to the tab "wireless" Change Radio Mode to 802.11g only.

This fixed my problem.

Mar 20, 2012 6:29 PM in response to MS113

Larry Mann is correct. N only or G only can help. Changing the channel or band can help. (2.4ghz 5ghz) or selecting Auto rather than a specific channel.

Do you feel comfortable making these changes? Otherwise, routers can be had for about $30 bucks on the cisco refurbished section. Sometimes swapping the router will fix this.

--Sam

Slow download speeds on iPad2, all other devices fine. Please help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.