Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

the right USB PCMCIA card for Wallstreet

I found this USB PCMCIA card adapter (apparently Mac-compatible) on eBay and would like to know if it will be work with my Wallstreet G3 (233Mhz) laptop:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ADS-Tech-2-Port-Turbo-USB-2-0-32-Bit-CardBus-Type-II-PC- Card-PCMCIA-Adapter-New-/220882235186?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336d9b6f32

This would be a significant saving over the Iogear one recommended in an early post.

Also: I want to use the USB port to connect to either another Mac or an external drive so that I can add files to the older laptop. Am I correct in assuming this would be an acceptable method, outside of burning CDs and importing files that way?

I read in another post with a similar question that the answer is to exchange files via Ethernet, but this Wallstreet has no Ethernet port.

thanks!

PS It would be great to know if the Wallstreet can take an AirPort card or not - and is there another option if not? (Finally,) can a person (I'm giving it to) without Internet at home connect via the internal modem to their landline and get online and have free mail, like AOL or Hotmail?

Posted on Jan 25, 2012 1:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2012 3:41 PM

Hi,

Someone else may be able to provide you with information about the USB card.

>I read in another post with a similar question that the answer is to exchange files via Ethernet, but this Wallstreet has no Ethernet port.

This PowerBook does in fact have an Ethernet port, which can be used for file sharing with another Mac (through a direct cable, or via a switch). The Ethernet port can also be used for an Internet connection (over a router).

>It would be great to know if the Wallstreet can take an AirPort card or not - and is there another option if not?

You could use an appropriate third-party wireless card in a PC Card slot. However, make absolutely sure that there are compatible drivers available (these do often/usually require Mac OS X 10.3).

>can a person (I'm giving it to) without Internet at home connect via the internal modem to their landline and get online and have free mail, like AOL or Hotmail?

It is possible to use an internal (56 kbps) modem for an Internet connection, but it is going to be slow. Far better is if there are Internet service providers offering DSL or cable connections in the area. The Internet service as such is usually not free, but once connected, free email such as Hotmail could be used.

Please note that there are limitations (browsers, et cetera) depending upon which operating system is used.

The following web page could perhaps be of interest.

http://www.lowendmac.com/pb2/wallstreet-powerbook-g3-i.html

Jan

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 25, 2012 3:41 PM in response to keithgvp

Hi,

Someone else may be able to provide you with information about the USB card.

>I read in another post with a similar question that the answer is to exchange files via Ethernet, but this Wallstreet has no Ethernet port.

This PowerBook does in fact have an Ethernet port, which can be used for file sharing with another Mac (through a direct cable, or via a switch). The Ethernet port can also be used for an Internet connection (over a router).

>It would be great to know if the Wallstreet can take an AirPort card or not - and is there another option if not?

You could use an appropriate third-party wireless card in a PC Card slot. However, make absolutely sure that there are compatible drivers available (these do often/usually require Mac OS X 10.3).

>can a person (I'm giving it to) without Internet at home connect via the internal modem to their landline and get online and have free mail, like AOL or Hotmail?

It is possible to use an internal (56 kbps) modem for an Internet connection, but it is going to be slow. Far better is if there are Internet service providers offering DSL or cable connections in the area. The Internet service as such is usually not free, but once connected, free email such as Hotmail could be used.

Please note that there are limitations (browsers, et cetera) depending upon which operating system is used.

The following web page could perhaps be of interest.

http://www.lowendmac.com/pb2/wallstreet-powerbook-g3-i.html

Jan

the right USB PCMCIA card for Wallstreet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.