Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture Loses iPhoto Edited Images

Hello,

I need help on importing iPhoto libraries.

I have 22 iPhoto libraries (iPhoto 8.1.2, 140GB total for all libraries) on an iMac 27, OS 10.6.8, and am importing into Aperture 3.2.2. I imported each iPhoto library separately and rebuilt their thumbnails before each import. It was my understanding that Aperture would import the original iPhoto images as well as the edited images along with metadata. Now I have discovered that in my case it does this sometimes but not always. When it does work Aperture shows two images in a stack, the iPhoto edited image (with the keywords "iPhoto Edited" added, and the iPhoto original image (with the keywords "iPhoto Original" added). This is what I would expect. However, there are many images that I edited in iPhoto that show up in Aperture as just a image, the one that was edited in iPhoto. The iPhoto original image is not there. Aperture has added the keywords "iPhoto Converted" (whatever that means) and "iPhoto Original" (which it is not) to this photo. If I go back to these images in iPhoto and do a revert to original, iPhoto reverts the edit back to the (true) original image. So,both the original and edited images are in iPhoto.

I have rebooted the Mac and repaired permissions but that didn't help.

Getting my Aperture library setup has been a struggle and I appreciate all the help I have gotten. It looks like I still need more. Thanks!

Mike

Aperture 3

Posted on Jan 25, 2012 5:08 PM

5 replies

Jan 25, 2012 6:05 PM in response to Michael Boyd4

I just discovered something new. If I import individual photos or folders of photos from iPhoto using Aperture's iPhoto Browser everything works properly - two images, an iPhoto edited version and the iPhoto original. This time Aperture adds the title of the iPhoto source folder to the keyword metadata (don't know why it does this). Why should it make any difference whether you import a library or parts of a library? Maybe this is a clue to my problem.

Mike

Jan 25, 2012 11:24 PM in response to Michael Boyd4

Aperture has added the keywords "iPhoto Converted" (whatever that means) and "iPhoto Original" (which it is not) to this photo.

Mike,

can you tell what kind of adjustment has been done in iPhoto to the images? Perhaps Aperture is smarter than you expected, sometimes it can recognize the Adjustment done by iPhoto and import both - version and master - in one. You could check that in Aperture by viewing the master image file:

• relocate the master to a folder and reveal the master in the Finder, then consolidate the master again
  • also open the Adjustment tab in the Inspector: you will probably find that Aperture recognized the Adjustment and could import master and edited version in one, thus saving a lot of disk space. You still can have both by simply duplicationg the version and undoing the adjustment in one of the versions.

User uploaded file

I found that in all events, when an image carried both tags, Aperture had correctly imported the original as master and then created the version, so your single version you see should show you the "adjusted" tag. In the above example I imported a library with 3 images, and for two of them Aperture recognized the adjustments - I am quite impressed with Aperture that it is now able to do that.

Regards

Léonie

Jan 26, 2012 4:44 PM in response to léonie

Hello Leonie,

You were right on - many thanks! I thought I was facing having to start over again.

I have found Apple's Aperture User's Guide very useful but nowhere in its 907 pages have I found your instructions described or "iPhoto Converted" defined.

It works as you described and I have some comments: (1) After the resetting all adjustments in Aperture the new version continues to have these same keyword tags as before the reset. The adjustment badge is gone and the version number is appended to the image name. (2) I also used "New Version from Master" on some iPhoto edited photos. This creates a new version; however, all the adjustments, keywords and badges were deleted, but the version number is appended to the name. (3) I tried "Show Master Image". This apparently only works in Split View & Viewer (dimmed out in Browser). When I do this the adjustments are apparently not changed except for crops which are removed (this seems odd). Keywords and badges are not changed. There is no version number, of course, and the image is identified as a master image. (4) I am curious about why using Aperture's iPhoto Browser to import photos results in two photos, the iPhoto original and the iPhoto edited. They have the appropriate iPhoto Edited or iPhoto Original tags; however, except for rotation and cropping the iPhoto adjustments appear to have been reset. The edited ones do not have an adjustment badge, even though it was adjusted in iPhoto. All the images have a keyword badge and Aperture has added a keyword which it the title of the iPhoto album or event the photo came from. They all have a Master Image label at the top. I duplicated one of the iPhoto edited images. The duplicate displayed a Master Image label and Reset All Adjustment was dimmed.

I would appreciate your observations on these comments.

Aperture is an impressive piece of software and thanks to your help I think I am finally ready to start using it!

Mike

Jan 26, 2012 9:50 PM in response to Michael Boyd4

I have found Apple's Aperture User's Guide very useful but nowhere in its 907 pages have I found your instructions described or "iPhoto Converted" defined.

Hello Michael,

thank you for this further comments - very helpful. I too, was very puzzled by the "show master" button being dimmed; that is why I suugested to reveal the master by relocating, to be sure.

I think this behaviour of iPhoto-> Aperture is very recent; when I converted all my old iPhoto Libraries to Aperture Librarieslast year I had to recreate proper Master-Version pairs in Aperture for all of my images. This new behaviour is probably not yet documented, because it still is only partially implemented for some of the adjustments - it is work in progress: it is nice to have for the types of adjustments where it already works, but disappointing in all the many cases where it does not work yet; and it depends on the version of iPhoto that the adjustments have been made with. In this transitory phase - while still under construction - it would be very difficult to document the results to expect in that many different situations.

I hope we will get a better documentation, as soon as iPhoto has a proper version(s)->master management like Aperture (pure speculation on my part) and the integration of both will be better.

Enjoy Aperture!

Cheers

Léonie

Aperture Loses iPhoto Edited Images

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.