Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro water damage

Ok, so I've done a bit of research about water damage to macbooks but I was wondering what you guys had to say about my situation.

Last night, my 2010 15" MBP was sitting on a table, while turned on, along with a cup of water sitting behind it. When the cup was knocked over, the water poured onto the table creating a puddle which reached the back of the computer but only slightly before I picked it up and set it aside. The puddle of water was shallow and only a small portion of the bottom of the computer was slightly wet so I didn't think much of it. However, about 5-10 minutes later it turned off, and after turning it on again, (I NOW know I shouldn't have) it turned off again a couple minutes later. This morning, it just wouldn't turn on.

I know some of the water must have gone in just under the black strip in the back but I was wondering, is this worse than if water spilled directly onto the keyboard and whatever the answer may be, would this have tripped any of the liquid substance indicators as I am unaware of their location?

Thanks for your help. It is greatly appreciated.

Btw, I am currently waiting the recommended 3-5 days to not turn it on and let dry and then I will take it to the apple store.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jan 25, 2012 8:18 PM

8 replies

Apr 10, 2012 12:36 PM in response to muffinlad

My wife had just bought a brand new macbook pro and the exact same thing happened to the letter.

The laptop is built way too low (1mm) to the tabletop and there is no seal of anykind on the bottom or at the ports. It is not a wonder that they have cronic overheating problems. Not to mention nearly $1,500.00 ****** away. She is definitely NOT buying another Apple product after they insisted that there was no problem with the machine or it's design and it was completely the owners problem. The motherboard is fried and it will cost $900.00 plus shipping $60 and tax and the guy at best Buy said you will have recurring problems now and said to just scap it and buy a new one..... not happening here.... once burnt twice shy.

Macbook Pro water damage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.