Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting "To Do" Folder

How can I delete my "To Do" folder? I never use it and it's just sitting there under my REMINDERS which is very annoying! It was never there before and suddenly it appeared one day and I would like to get rid of it. Please help!

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jan 25, 2012 10:21 PM

15 replies

Jan 25, 2012 11:30 PM in response to R C-R

I have never used "To Do", it only appeared after I clicked on the "To Do" icon on my Toolbar, then suddenly an empty "To Do" file appeared on the left side underneath my mailboxes. I clicked on it, and there was nothing in there. So I went below and clicked on the gear, and there weren't any options that came up for me to delete it. "Notes" however I am able to delete. But the "To Do" appears to be there permanently, so frustrating!

Jan 26, 2012 12:04 AM in response to Soooz.q

I did not have any "To Do" items so I created an empty one by clicking on the icon just as you did, which forced the appearance of the "To Do" icon under REMINDERS.

I then clicked on the "To Do" icon under REMINDERS & the empty to do item appeared on the right. Then I selected (highlighted) it & right clicked on it, bringing up the contextual menu, & selected "Delete" from it. The empty to do item was deleted but the the "To Do" icon under REMINDERS remained.

I then used "Erase deleted items..." from the gear at the bottom of the mailboxes list just to make sure it was gone but I'm not sure this is a necessary step.

I quit & relaunched Mail.app & the "To Do" icon under REMINDERS is now gone.

Jan 26, 2012 12:21 AM in response to Soooz.q

Just to clarify R C-R's post and why it worked for him...

Once you delete the to do's on the right pane select any other mail box other than the To Do's, for example, your InBox. Now when you quit and relaunch mail the empty Reminders section will be gone.

The reason it worked for R C-R was because he must have accidentally done that or he wouldn't have seen the "Erase deleted items..." contextual. That item is not available for the ToDo's.

So to summarize, the key step is to make sure the empty ToDo's are not selected when you quit mail.

Jan 26, 2012 12:25 AM in response to X423424X

X423424X wrote:

The reason it worked for R C-R was because he must have accidentally done the or he wouldn't have seen the "Erase deleted items..." contextual. That item is not available for the ToDo's.

As I mentioned, I selected "Erase deleted items..." from the gear icon at the bottom of the mailbox list, not from the contextual menu. It is available there regardless of which mailbox is selected.

Jan 26, 2012 12:44 AM in response to Soooz.q

I'm glad we could help! 🙂

BTW, I just checked again & it doesn't seem to be necessary to use "Erase deleted items..." at all to get rid of deleted "To Do" items. Depending on how your preferences are set, "deleted" email messages are just moved to the Trash mailboxes (which has nothing to do with the Trash folder on the Dock), & not actually deleted at that time.

Apparently, deleted to do's actually are deleted immediately ... at least with the way my Mail.app is set up.

Deleting "To Do" Folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.