Any help would be much appreciated to stop iPhoto from continuously crashing when I try to open it. Here's some background information:
- Version of iPhoto: 9.2.1 (latest)
- Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (all software updates performed)
- Hardware: iMac Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16 Ghz, 2 GB DDR2 SDRAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT 256 MB VRAM
- Details. What were you doing when the problem arose? The last time it was working properly, I was looking at the Faces function to add names and browsing albums to copy some photos to a folder on my hard drive.
- Did it ever work properly? Yes - had been working fine previously for the past few years. Only problem I've had in the past has been some photos that went missing (never been able to retrieve them). I've also been prompted to repair the library and do something with the thumbnails, although the continuous crashing is a problem that's started in the past week.
- Are there error messages? No - application just crashes and a crash report appears
- What steps have you tried already to solve the issue: Repaired the library by holding down Option+Command. Library repairs but continues to crash. Increased the free hard drive space to 30 GB.
I have over 30,000 photos (around 131 GB worth) so I am a little reticent to do anything that could mean losing the photos. I'm a little short on hard drive space at the moment (30 GB or so left on a 500 GB hard drive), so I'd need to find a way to make room if there are any steps that would require me to duplicate the library given its size...
PS: Here's a copy and paste of the first few lines of the crash report (I've noticed that the process number isn't always the same, e.g. 224, 235 and various four-digit numbers)
|Code Type:||X86 (Native)|
Parent Process: launchd 
|Date/Time:||2012-01-26 14:34:02.574 +0800|
|OS Version:||Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)|
Report Version: 6
|Interval Since Last Report:||186185 sec|
|Crashes Since Last Report:||10|
Per-App Interval Since Last Report: 2708 sec
Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 9
Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
Exception Codes: 0x000000000000000a, 0x0000000028a65000
Crashed Thread: 31