Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Open user Library of a Mac connected as Target via TB

Library is hidden in Lion. I need sometimes to copy files from the folder of iWeb application support from my iMac to MBP.

I like to connect both Macs with Thunderbolt and copy the files from one Mac started as Target to the other.

The problem is I do not know how to open the hidden directory Library on the HD connected as target. Pressing Option and GO works only on the local HD, not on the HD connected with TB.

Well I can get my files if I copy them elsewere before restart the iMac as Target, but if Iforget to do that, I have to restart again the iMac only to do that, then close and restart as Target..

Anybody knows a shorter way ?

Thanks

Posted on Jan 26, 2012 4:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2012 7:53 AM

Interesting problem, how are you doing the copy, with Finder or some other way?

If you do this often enough it might just be worth your while to unhide the Library folder on the machine you always have in target mode. Or else do the copy via the terminal window using the cp command.

If you want to unhide the library open a terminal window and enter:

chflags nohidden ~/Library

regards

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 26, 2012 7:53 AM in response to WALTER-MILANO-ITALY

Interesting problem, how are you doing the copy, with Finder or some other way?

If you do this often enough it might just be worth your while to unhide the Library folder on the machine you always have in target mode. Or else do the copy via the terminal window using the cp command.

If you want to unhide the library open a terminal window and enter:

chflags nohidden ~/Library

regards

Jan 26, 2012 10:25 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

Thanks Frank, I had seen before the suggestion about to unhide the Library with a command in Terminal but I am not so expert with Terminal and I would like to avoid unnecessary modification to the system to avoid future problem which I could not be able to understand.

I use Finder or a program by Triedre called Tri-Backup to copy files from a Mac to the other. Even with this program I use finder to select the folders to "load" into the copy or sync windows of Tri_Backup.

For the copy of the few files in the library of the 2 Macs I use the Finder only. I do not need the automatic "Copy only new files" offered by Tri-Backup.

Unfortunately for the next few days I am out and have only my MBP, therfore I cannot check again what exactly happens. I will do it next sunday. Yes the Target drive appear as a volume in the finder. To avoid errors I like to open 2 windows of finder, one with local files and one with the target drive, searched down to User/Library/Appliocationsupport/iWeb. Pressing goto and option I get the Library on the local window.

May be with some more patience could be possible to unhide also the other drive.

I will try again next sunday and let you know.

Thanks again

Walter

Jan 28, 2012 12:18 PM in response to Frank Caggiano

Hi Frank.

Just tested.

Start the MBP and connect the iMac with TB as Target.

Open 2 windows of the Finder on MBP, one on its own local HD and the second window with the iMac HD selected. On both I go dovn until my Account and I have on the right all the folders but of course no Library on both.

Go to the menu bar at the top of the screen, with the  logo on the left and there click on Goto: this opens another selection windows as dropdown and you can select only folders or items displayed there. Clickin on option also appear the Library, but always only in that drop down window and the selectio is only connected to the local HD. No chanche to see the Library on Target drive. In the drop down window you have also a choice to manually select a server or a path. I tried to put in the manual selection the path of the Target Drive starting with iMAC/MYFOLDER/Library.... Result: impossible to find the path.

I have found a way. If I use the program Try Backup which lets me select both drives and there is an option to see hidden items. Perfect. Here is a sample: I had no more the second Mac connected during this picture, so you see only one side, but you see exactly the same way also the second Mac conencted as Taget on the other side of the copy window.

User uploaded file

Jan 28, 2012 3:28 PM in response to WALTER-MILANO-ITALY

For future reference when you have the iMac connected to the MBP the Library folder on the iMac will appear as /Volumes/[Name of iMac Root Drive]/Users/[your name]/Library.

The reason being the HD in the iMac is now mounted as an external drive on th MBP. Also when you are in the Finder's Go to Folder: field if you type in the first few characters of the path Finder will auto complete as much as it can.

regards

Jan 29, 2012 4:35 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

GREAT. It works.

I admit on the first attempt yesterday the Finder even suggestd /Volumes as starting path but I was so stupid to remove it. ;-)

To day it worked but it was not so easy. My system is in Italian and the Finder remembers the last input.

Even makes strange chages to it, for instance I typed /Users and it changed it to /Utenti and the same was done with Libreria instead of Library. Finder refused to accept the english. So I had even questions about Volumes: was it better to translate to Volumi ??? I made some mixed versions without result. Than finder seemed to be slow and unresponsive but I insisted and in 3-4 minutes I GOT IT as you explain all in english !! And now the path is in Finder's"Memory".

I describe this of course not as a complain but just to add more details on the matter. Some time localisation adds problems.

Thanks again Frank

Jan 29, 2012 5:26 AM in response to WALTER-MILANO-ITALY

You can also use Tab expansion in that path window. Just start typing part of the path and hit tab. If it can match it, it will fill in that part.

So, you could start with /V-tab which will expand to /Volumes (or Volumi). You can repeat that with each part of the path as you build it.

Now, if you do this a lot, once you mount the other Mac and have the Library folder open, you might try creating an alias to that folder or put it in your Sidebar. I haven't tried it with a target disk mounted Mac, but don't see why it wouldn't work.

Mar 14, 2014 6:57 PM in response to WALTER-MILANO-ITALY

Here's something to add to the mix. The Go To Folder option will only work if the target disk is not named exactly the same as the boot disk. As the default volume name for all Mac boot disks is "Macintosh HD", before you start, make sure that you have some difference. I renamed the target disk "Macintosh Old HD" which gave me something to differentiate.

Oct 14, 2015 11:42 PM in response to Frank Caggiano

Hey Thanks Frank and Wlater and everybody else on this thread!

rhank you soon much.

you just saved my day with this answer

W.

one more question:

i was puzzled as I transferred all my files and folders from my MBP onto an 6tb ext hard drive

I could not understand the discrepancy in size between the old Macintosh HD user's content and my copied file

751GB against 891BG. I found out the library matches exactly the missing GB.

Am I correct to assume this was the only hidden file?

anyway thank you so much once again!

Best of bests

Open user Library of a Mac connected as Target via TB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.