Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changing Airdrop Default Save Location

Hello All,

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. Simple question...

There has to be a way to change the default save location of AirDrop. Has anyone stumbled across this?

~ lbcSSA

Posted on Jan 26, 2012 7:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2017 1:04 PM

While there is no direct ways to do this, there is however a workaround that allows you to change the default location:

How to change the default AirDrop destination folder on Mac

The great thing about this trick is that it can differentiate files that were Airdroppped from files that are downloaded to your Downloads folder for example. It makes it look seamless.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 16, 2017 1:04 PM in response to lbcSSA

While there is no direct ways to do this, there is however a workaround that allows you to change the default location:

How to change the default AirDrop destination folder on Mac

The great thing about this trick is that it can differentiate files that were Airdroppped from files that are downloaded to your Downloads folder for example. It makes it look seamless.

Jan 13, 2015 10:30 AM in response to Jeffrey York

Hi Jeffrey,

your solution is nice for people who don't care about spoiling their system disk, which I agree must be numerous today.

But would you possibly have another suggestion to avoid documents sent via Airdrop to end up at all on the System disk ? I mean, just as one can do it for the Safari or Mail downloads, where you can define a default folder located on a different hard disk ? I'm with a MacPro, and System disk is intended only for... system, not files, so to avoid fragmentations issues from multiple erase actions of unnecessary files.

Is it possible that Apple writes "default folder" and forgot that "default" means one can opt for an alternative solution ??? Has Apple gone that un-professional ? Please tell me I've just missed a line somewhere... and that I don't have to rely once more on a third party app...

Cheers !

Config

Yosemite OSX 10.10.1

Mac Pro (Late 2013)

Changing Airdrop Default Save Location

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.