Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Uncontrollable backslashes ///////////// Help!!

Is anyone there?! Help please!! Not sure if its my keyboard or mouse. Suddenly starts beeping (as if I'm holding down keys for a while) then backslashes (//////////) like this keep appearing repeatedly in my search window or address box or other boxes that I need to type in, like I have a ghost in my keyboard :-)I cant do anything!! Previously I checked the bluetooth and it was discoverable- now I somehow managed to turn off the bluetooth and now my keyboard & mouse dont work at all YIKES!!! :-( Also, I keep getting a low battery message for my keyboard but the batteries are brand new!!! Anyone, anyone,......thanks so much.......

iMac (21.5-inch Late 2009)

Posted on Jan 26, 2012 10:01 AM

4 replies

Jan 26, 2012 12:32 PM in response to iCare

OK if I get the USB keyboard connected, what is my next step to address my above problem - like where do I check for issues? bluetooth, keyboard, mouse, etc to see what is wrong. Since Im fairly new to Apple, isnt there something on Macs that can check to see if there is a problem like there is on Windows? Thanks much

Jan 26, 2012 10:37 AM in response to donna478

Your keyboard is telling you that you have a stuck '/' key, however the fact that you seem to be having multiple issues may indicate a bigger issue that may require you to get a replacement keyboard.

Is it possible that liquid was accidentally spilled into the keyboard? Liquids and electronics don't mix, and it could help explain why you are getting a low battery message even though you just installed brand new batteries.

Unfortunately I don't have any solutions for turning Bluetooth back on when both of your input devices are wireless. If you had access to a USB keyboard you could press the command and spacebar keys together which would open Spotlight, then type in 'Bluetooth File Exchange' and launch the application. It will see that Bluetooth is turned off and prompt you to turn it back ON, all without requiring a mouse.

Jan 26, 2012 1:07 PM in response to donna478

You iMac has a built in self diagnostic call Apple Hardware Testwhich will verify basic functionality. You can activate it by holding down the 'D' key when powering on the system. It will bring up a menu that will allow you to run the diagnostic. Write down any error codes that are generated. I suspect your system will pass since it seems like your Bluetooth simply turned off. Hopefully the steps I previously provided will allow you to re-enable Bluetooth using the USB keyboard.

Uncontrollable backslashes ///////////// Help!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.