Newsroom Update

Today, Apple announced that from 2020 through 2023, the App Store prevented a total of over $7 billion in potentially fraudulent transactions. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imovie download keeps failing

I have acquired my first ever macbook and attempted to download iMovie from the App Store last night. It keeps getting to around 597mb downloaded and then fails. Rolls back a bit, reattempts to download, fails again. I have several times restarted the download from scratch and each time, it fails at the exact same point in the download. I've read loads of knowledgebase items and tried everything but as I say am new to Macbooks so might be missing something simple.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jan 26, 2012 11:36 AM

19 replies

Jan 26, 2012 12:14 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Hi Carolyn...

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Yes, in the App Store it says the file size if 585MB, but when I started the download, it was in fact 616MB or something similar. And as I say, it kept getting to 597.6MB exactly and would then fail.

What I tried, and what was sent to me when I contacted the App Store support team was this URL http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3624.

Basically chose cancel when it said it had failed and then clicked on 'install' which started the download from start.

On a Windows based PC there is a temp download file that is stored whilst a file in being downloaded. Does anyone know where this resides on a Mac?

Jan 26, 2012 2:05 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Yes it is, and the company I purchased it off of, did a complete reinstall of the OS prior to me taking it (Company shares the same building as us) and I have downloaded other apps off the App Store so I'm wondering if its just an issue with this particular App? But I would expect to see more posts about this issue if that was the case.

Jan 26, 2012 2:18 PM in response to Rubarb

How much free space is left on the startup disk to install anymore software to?

Right or control click the MacintoshHD icon. Click Get Info. In the Get Info window you will see Capacity and Available. Make sure there's a minimum of 15% free disk space.

It's not unusual for some apps to download as they should and others not. Just takes some troubleshooting.

Jan 26, 2012 2:50 PM in response to Rubarb

That rules out disk space...

The App Store cache may need deleting.

Go to ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.appstore

Move the Cache.db file from the com.apple.appstore folder to the Trash.

Restart your Mac, try re downloading iMovie.

Downloading past purchases from the App Store, iBookstore, and iTunes Store

~ (Tilde) character represents the Home folder.

imovie download keeps failing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.