Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transfer my rented films from apple tv to my iPad?

Hello! I have a little problem, does anyone know how I can transfer the films I have bought or rented in apple tv to my iPad? For instance I just rented a film using my apple tv and I'm going away and want to see it on my iPad, however the film only features as rented on my apple tv and not in my iPad iTunes! Any ideas? Many thanks

iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G

Posted on Jan 26, 2012 11:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2012 12:01 PM

If you rented it directly on your APple TV then you can't transfer it - from http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1415 :

If you rent a movie on an iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Apple TV, it is not transferable to any other device and you must watch it on that device.

You need to rent on your computer if you want to then copy it to other devices.

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 26, 2012 12:01 PM in response to agaray

If you rented it directly on your APple TV then you can't transfer it - from http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1415 :

If you rent a movie on an iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Apple TV, it is not transferable to any other device and you must watch it on that device.

You need to rent on your computer if you want to then copy it to other devices.

Jul 24, 2012 7:33 PM in response to agaray

I'm surprised we can't transfer rentals. I too rented a movie on my iphone and hoped to transfer it to my MacBook Pro. I would think if my iphone and MacBook Pro are both registered and linked to one another, Apple would recognize this and allow the rental transfers. There's obviously a reason, and one that benefits Apple, because if it were a glitch, it would be an obvious one and one they'd want to fix asap. Anyone know? Thanks.

Aug 26, 2012 7:21 PM in response to lobsterghost1

It probably has more to do with the way the movie company licenses the rights for Apple to rent its movies. Film companies are notoriously draconian when it comes to how they let their films be viewed and by whom. It's a lot like it was when VHS came out and movie studios put the clamps on people recording shows off TV instead of updating their business model with the times. Eventually they figured out they could earn more money renting films through places like blockbusters. Technology has grown again, yet these companies haven't learned their lessons. It puts Aplle in a difficult position trying to satisfy its customers and the lawyers of MGM for example.

I worked at Microsoft games for 12 years and we were often caught in the same situation using NFL or NBA properties in a sports title. Everything from the photo on the box to how a player was represented in a game and how often had to be approved and accounted for. It was horribly limiting and time consuming. Oft times we were accused by gamers of being greedy when it was, in fact, those who held the franchises trying to squeeze every penny and drops of blood from the designers.

I'm always amused by the conspiracies attributed to Microsoft and the speculation around the development of the XBOX. Life was never that exciting. We couldn't even organize lunch with our team. How the **** could we pull off the back door conspiracies we were accused of? Lmao

Transfer my rented films from apple tv to my iPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.