Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reorder pages?

Is it really true that you can not change the order of pages in iBook Author?

MacBookPro15, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jan 26, 2012 12:25 PM

19 replies

Mar 26, 2012 8:16 PM in response to lcates

Very non-Apple, don't you think? I couldn't believe this when I heard it. I just assembled a book and my wife made a few easy suggestions, but - oops! Looks like I can't fix it! Are you serious?

Think of the meeting at Apple...

"Hey - what if they want to reorder the pages like Keynote slides."

"They can't do that."

"But won't some of them want to do that?"

"Well, they can't."

"So when they ask us why Author can't do what all of our our other apps can do, what do we tell them?"

"Tell them they can't do that."

"Thanks, Mr. Gates."

Weird...

Mar 27, 2012 9:24 PM in response to rcook6

I imagine it like this --

Suppose I have a document with 3 pages of text, Page A, Page B and Page C.

A-B-C

The text is linked together, so when I add to a paragraph on Page A, the text is pushed out to B and C.

Now suppose I move Page B to be first in the sequence.

B-A-C

When I edit Page A by adding new text, what would the flow look like? The text is still linked to a box on Page B, which itself if still linked to Page C.

I would think the result would be very strange indeed.

Nov 26, 2012 1:01 PM in response to David M Brewer

At first re-ordering pages seemed like a fundamental function and I could not understand why I was not allowed to reorder them. Then I considerd that I couldn't call chapters anything other than "Chapters" or sections anything other than "Sections."

I am using the wrong tool for my job.

I wanted to use iBooks author because it was a guaranteed apple experience (locked to an iPad and via the iTunes store) and so I could use rich media (widgets), however I am not creating an academic textbook with chapters, sections, and figures. I think a lot of people want to use the software read books and documents that they can share on the iTunes store in high-quality with widgets but this tool seems to be so laser-focused on academic texts with 100,000 words figures, it's useless for people who want to do things like photos brochure.

Is my opinion of the tool is too specific to acedemic texts. I think frustration is coming because there are people who want to use the technologies included in iBooks Author for more than academic texts, and when they try to create something for which the workflow is not configured they are destined to become frustrated with the limitations of the imposed workflow.

I think this project team should bring a some of the best iBooks features into the other iWork apps. I am now going to use an Adobe product for this project.

John

Nov 26, 2012 2:36 PM in response to rcook6

I can move chapters etc but not individual pages.

There is an iPad app " Book Author" which does allow pages to be moved easily into any order required - maybe one day Apple will see how its done and build into an update.

I assume those wanting to move pages around are using image based content with none linked text boxes.

Its not the fastest way but its simple to add a page or more as needed and simply "Select All" on a page.. paste onto a new BLANK page - ditto the content you have out of order into the now vacant page delete the redundant content and paste in whatever you wanted to be there and repeat till you have the layout required.

It takes only a few minutes to shift content around.

Jul 11, 2014 4:09 PM in response to lcates

I am working on my first iBooks Author project and while I am finding many wonderful capabilities, I have encountered this same question. While the answer now appears to be clear: you CANNOT MOVE pages around within a chapter or section, I find this Apple-impossed limitation ridiculous and the reasoning behind it flawed. I am designing a photo book with words, divided into chapters, but in such a way that text does not flow from one page to the next. Each page is self-contained with photos, text blocks and widgets to incorporate popover text, galleries and Keynote slide shows. When I want to change the order of the pages, it should be as simple as grabbing and dragging, but It isn't.

Also, my chapters are separated by chapter "interludes" and I would like to have them labeled as such, rather than having "Interlude 1" labeled as "Chapter 2"" which in turn labels "Chapter 2" as "Chapter 3."

Reorder pages?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.