Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Importing MP4 into FCPX

My son and I have just downloaded the trial version of FCPX and am running into an import problem.

All his videos are recorded in MP4 format on an SD card.

When we try to import the clips from the SD card, they appear in FCPX as a black clip with audio only.

I've looked around online and it seems that some other people are having the same issue and are saying that you have to buy a converter software.

It seems to me that -- for $300 -- this software ought to be able to handle the most common video format that exists.

A. What am I missing?

B. How can I resolve this?

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Tony Rush

Posted on Jan 26, 2012 1:29 PM

7 replies

Jan 26, 2012 1:49 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Hi, Tom, thanks for your reply.

To clarify, I'm not suggesting that his camera shoots MPEG-4. I just mean that the recorded clips on his SD card are saved with an .mp4 file extension.

His camera is a Samsung H200. Footage from this camera imports into the latest version of iMovie with no problem.

Any thoughts?

Thank you again for your assistance.

Tony

Feb 18, 2012 12:18 PM in response to Paul Cuciti

Thanks for the tip about MPeg StreamClip. I am currently trying it out. I have tried other solutions but StreamClip so far seems like the easiest to use - Easy to understand interface. I have exactly the same camera as TonyRush and am also using the trial of FCPX. I have exactly the same problem. What confuses me is that iMovie will import HD video from the camera without any problems however it is beyond me why FCPX can't without additional software and steps which all adds up to more time. I wish FCPX would import the video straight away just like iMovie so that I wouldn't have to take additional steps.

Although my use of FCPX is just for casual use to edit movies of my kids and family, I feel I have reached the end of the usefulness of iMovie. I want to be able to customize more and have more access to more themes etc.

MPeg StreamClip seems to be working but it is taking a long time to encode the movies in a format compatible with FCPX whereas in iMovie I could just import them and edit them straight away. Any other solutions other than FCPX that are a bit more advanced than iMovie?

TIA

Chris

Importing MP4 into FCPX

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.