Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

converting/opening OS 9 docs in OSX 10.6

Not sure where else to post this question. I want to move a large quantity of documents

originated in "legacy" apps (OS 8.6) such as MacWrite II, Adobe Pagemaker, Illustrator,

Aldus Freehand over to an Imac with 10.6. I know the path is 'broken' for many docs

such as those created in apps that no longer exist....that is a given. I believe the upgrade

path for converting MacWrite II docs for OSX ended with Appleworks 6.2 which i haven't

even tried running on SL but have my doubts it would run in 10.6...same with Claris Works.

Short of a miraculous app that i've overlooked which can convert anything created in

the above mentioned apps for 10.6 readability/editing... i am leaning toward a strategy

of preserving most of this stuff in .pdf format and then putting the old Beige G3/8.6

machine in storage.

Is there any sort of .pdf batch converting app where I could say, put the old machine

in target firewire mode and convert these using such an app residing on the destination

(10.6) machine? Just trying to come up with the most logical way to approach this...

I know back in the day i had an app called something like MacLink Plus Deluxe(Data Viz?)

that did a good job of file format converting...but guessing that's history.

Would it make more sense technically to convert these files to .pdf before moving them

to 10.6 or better to do it using a .pdf converter located on the 10.6 machine and accessing

them on the old machine's HD via Firewire mod

Thanks as always for any advice!

Mike

iMac, 17" 10.5, 24" 10.6....

Posted on Jan 26, 2012 2:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2012 3:23 PM

I want to move a large quantity of documents

originated in "legacy" apps (OS 8.6) such as MacWrite II, Adobe Pagemaker, Illustrator,

Aldus Freehand over to an Imac with 10.6.

You might be able to export MacWrite II files to ClarisWorks/AppleWorks file format, or some other text format (RTF or .doc?) then import those into Pages on Snow Leopard.

Adobe InDesign CSx can import Pagemaker 6.5x-7.x and possibly higher.

You can open old Illustrator documents in current versions of Illustrator; you must save (or export) Freehand files in .eps format, after which you can open them in Illustrator.

I know back in the day i had an app called something like MacLink Plus Deluxe(Data Viz?) that did a good job of file format converting...but guessing that's history.

If you want a copy of MacLinkPlus Deluxe for your vintage Mac, you can still get it. There's one available on eBay right now. In short, there's no need to convert everything to PDF.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 26, 2012 3:23 PM in response to MIKEinMICH

I want to move a large quantity of documents

Aldus Freehand over to an Imac with 10.6.

You might be able to export MacWrite II files to ClarisWorks/AppleWorks file format, or some other text format (RTF or .doc?) then import those into Pages on Snow Leopard.

Adobe InDesign CSx can import Pagemaker 6.5x-7.x and possibly higher.

You can open old Illustrator documents in current versions of Illustrator; you must save (or export) Freehand files in .eps format, after which you can open them in Illustrator.

I know back in the day i had an app called something like MacLink Plus Deluxe(Data Viz?) that did a good job of file format converting...but guessing that's history.

If you want a copy of MacLinkPlus Deluxe for your vintage Mac, you can still get it. There's one available on eBay right now. In short, there's no need to convert everything to PDF.

Jan 26, 2012 4:46 PM in response to Michael Wasley

You also have the problem of finding a way to convert files to PDF while running 8.6. Built-in printing to PDF didn't come until OS X.

You can use the Acrobat PDFWriter extension in classic Mac OS; it goes all the way back to Acrobat 3.0 at least. If you're in OS X and running a Classic Mac OS application, you can still use the Print to PDF option, too.

Jan 27, 2012 7:16 PM in response to kurt188

Many thanks to you all for your answers and help. This gives me a great start and will set about trying the

importation process before assuming it all has to be .pdf. Granted most of this is to be saved primarily for

the content, more than being able to manipulate the original formatting or layout work but hey, if much of it

can be saved in its native application or keep it original formatting so much the better.

Guess i do have to think about whether it's important enough to buy a copy of Adobe InDesign vs just .pdf'ing the stuff. Thanks again

Mike

converting/opening OS 9 docs in OSX 10.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.