Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to connect apple tv when the hdmi port on my tv is connected to the hdmi modem

I just got at&t uverse tv service. The modem is connected to the hdmi port on my tv. I bought a 4 in 1 out hdmi connector box, but don't know if this will work. I've tried plugging the apple tv into one of the in ports, but I can't get it to work. I've tried plugging both the modem and the tv into the out box and other components into the in ports, but it hasn't worked.

Has anyone ever run into this problem where the tv hdmi port is used and apple tv requires an hdmi port?

thanks,

Joan

mini 2.53, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Jan 26, 2012 6:57 PM

7 replies

Jan 26, 2012 10:51 PM in response to ellyjo

You can never have too many HDMI ports on a TV. That said, I guess you only have one. IF your ATT U-verse box has a component output option AND your TV also has a component input option, you should give that a try for your U-verse service, thus freeing up your HDMI port for your ATV2.

I suspect your TV does have a component input option. However, I don't have a clue as to whether your U-verse box does although I think there is a good chance that it does.

I doubt you will be able to tell the difference between a component hookup verses a HDMI hookup. I think most of the stores that demo new TVs use componet hookups on the several sets that they have running at the same time.

Jan 28, 2012 1:44 AM in response to Macaby

It switches to the last input it recieves, so if the AppleTV is on it will switch to bluray when you turn on the player. I have the AppleTV on input 1 and bluray on input 2 so when I turn off the bluray it defaults back to AppleTV even if I don't put it to sleep.

If it doesn't work automaticaly with your kit it also has manual selector switches.

It does its job realy well.

Jan 28, 2012 9:00 AM in response to Noiseboy2006

Thanks for posting info on this device. I've just ordered one. While I have 4 HDMI inputs on my TV, they are all populated. With this device, I hope to "open" up one of the inputs (probably my BluRay one since I don't use it very often). So, in addition to the BluRay input, this device will be "ready" cabled anything I want to plug in my MBP or my iPad. It's been a royal pain to reach behind the set to unplug and replug a HDMI cable every time I want to bring up my MBP or iPad.

Yes I know about AirPlay, but it doesn't work with HBOGO at the moment.

Jan 31, 2012 7:03 PM in response to Noiseboy2006

Noiseboy2006 wrote:

This is what I use.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Port-1080p-switch-Splitter-Pigtail/dp/B003TKKSIC/ref=sr_ 1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1327670009&sr=1-3

AppleTV in input 1 BluRay in 2 works no problem.

I just received this device today and I can report that it seems to work great. With it my TV gained 2 HDMI ports. I'm using an ATV2, a iPad and a MBA on with this dongle. Paid $16.61 including shipping with amazon.com. Sold by CE Compass Inc. Well worth it if you don't like reaching behind your set to swap HDMI cables. And if you have an earlier TV with only one HDMI input port, this will make your life a LOT easier.

Mar 5, 2015 8:07 AM in response to ellyjo

I use this device as my 4 splitter and i get connection all devices working then after a few hours i get an error. can i get some direction on how to place each device on this one splitter? the Uverse box and TV only has one HDMI plugs, I put the TV HDMI from TV input to splitter Output, then I put Uverse cable in port 1 on the splitter, then appletv in port3.

I need some direction if you can provide any.

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/152784781184241298?espv=2&biw=1280&bih=9 39&output=search&q=rockefish+4+way+hdmi&oq=rockefish+4+way+hdmi&prds=paur:ClkAsK raX8Rp5ts3l9LicxkyVgxiMktOihntNJfwmB3JSZqvmy2QH7nuNb5nXfuEcJKpDd3zJb7pX-FiaKI91u my6-sMyrgCwzZXXyNMD1i-sv0FLb7uvtaHuRIZAFPVH71NyIbBbK6WBgme3K-dFAXePqzVZQ&ei=En34 VL2PG9fsoATe5IGICA&ved=0CPEDEKYrMAA

how to connect apple tv when the hdmi port on my tv is connected to the hdmi modem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.