Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

safari cannot find server

Well after years of having Safari as my default browser and experiencing frustrating "cannot find the server" and losing applications and inability to open pages with the same ******** message, I have set Firefox as my default browser on each of my Apple computers. Very sad but I am tired of looking up this problem with no remedy.

Maybe if hundreds of thousands of Safari users drop usage of this browser then Apple will do something about it. This may be the only way to get them to look into this without any BS.

Goodbye Safari!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jan 26, 2012 7:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2012 8:59 PM

Well after years of having Safari as my default browser and experiencing frustrating "cannot find the server" and losing applications and inability to open pages

I'm confused as to what you mean by "losing applications"... ??

Losing what applications?

8 replies

Jan 26, 2012 9:14 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Sorry for the confusion. I would be on page 4 of applications and I would have to answer questions, click on the weblink and I would lose everything I had completed and suddenly "Safari cannot find the server." These were financial statements (applications for opening an account), which is part of a consulting business I have. Not computer applications.

I never had problems with Safari before, but in the past three months it just does not work correctly. I would resume the same application on Firefox and it would allow me to complete the application in its entirety.

Something is going on with Safari (just Google Safari cannot find server and look at other people's statements about this problems). I never used any other browser in the pas since Safari always worked, but lately it is just not the same.

Jan 26, 2012 9:29 PM in response to pventure

That's ok... just trying to figure this out.

Have you tried emptying the Safari cache more often?

Try OpenDNS... It only takes a minute to setup. If it doesn't work, just go back and delete the numbers from the DNS pane in System Preferences.

Use OpenDNS for better speed, more security, it's free, and prevents re directs.

Open System Preferences / Preferences then select the Network tab. Click the Advanced tab then click the DNS tab.

Click +

Enter these numbers exactly as you see them here.

Click +

Then click OK and restart your Mac.

More about OpenDNS here > Topic : Manually provided DNS server addresses are higher priority than DHCP's

I've never had problems with Safari in this respect myself and if you search this forum for this issue, yes you will see results similar to yours, but you have to understand, ASC is where people come to get help. It's a matter of perspective. Out of all the Macs sold worldwide, less 1% come here for help with Safari issues such as yours. To see similar threads for your topic click: More LIke This on the right side of this window. In many cases, users see the can't find the server dialog because they have a third party unsupported plugin installed, or an extension, or anti virus software, or apps such as Little Snitch installed. Nine times out of ten, we find a solution.

Jan 26, 2012 9:38 PM in response to pventure

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It won’t solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

The purpose of this exercise is to determine whether the problem is localized to your user account. Enable guest logins and log in as Guest. For instructions, launch the System Preferences application, select “Help” from the menu bar, and enter “Set up a guest account” (without the quotes) in the search box.

While logged in as Guest, you won’t have access to any of your personal files or settings. Applications will behave as if you were running them for the first time. Don’t be alarmed by this; it’s normal. If you need any passwords or other personal data in order to complete the test, memorize, print, or write them down before you begin.

As Guest, launch the application(s) and test. Same problem(s)?

After testing, log out of the guest account and, in your own account, disable it if you wish. Any files you created in the guest account will be deleted automatically when you log out of it.

Nov 1, 2014 2:55 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

HHi Carolyn...re your last paragraph and as this is two years old, things may have change but I want to tell you something anyway, if you're still around that is. I stayed away from Apple for various reasons and used Androids and PCs..I never once had an issue with the Internet or finding and loggin in to sites. I have succumbed to Apple, in the form of the iPad air, since its launch this year...I am always having trouble with Safari not being able to locate a server and not finding a website....yet my pc and my Androids still do not have this problem....it is without doubt a problem with this device or Safari....it is nothing else...it is not my wifi, or my router....it is solely with the iPad air or Safari....no question....and all the advise about clearing caches and rebooting etc etc should never be needed under any circumstances.....I have used the Internet on my Androids since their inception and I have used the Internet on my pc for some 15 years and never, ever encountered the problems I have with Safari....the only way I can stop the problem occurring is to use a VPN....but even then I experience problems locating that.....Apple is by far the better product and I have no axe to grind there....but as far as Safari goes...please don't try and make excuses for its failure or suggest only 1% of users are experiencing this problem or something similar....the problem is Safari or the software in the o/s.....nothing else and people like me are just so frustrated by it, when they have an otherwise brilliant product....enough said....

safari cannot find server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.