Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lion Client can't Update Software via Snow Leopard Server

This topic has been discussed at length in this community and although I've read most of the contributions I've not yet seen my issue addressed.

I have a small LAN of machines: 1 G5 Tiger, an Imac on Lion, a mini on Lion, a MacBook on Snow Leopard, served by 10.6.8 on a macmini. Until recently I had an external drive storing the software updates and managed the client using Workgroup Manager. This was a happy arrangement.

After upgrading the internal drive I decided to move the cache to a dedicated partition on the internal drive. I moved the files and in Workgroup Manager reset the target. After some fiddling with permissions I was eventually able to get the Software Update process going - connecting to Apple that is and downloading. But the clients lost the plot.

I recalled that one of the tasks in getting it to work previously was to edit the /etc/swupd/swupd.plist, and swupd.conf.

The relevant part of the plist now looks like this:

<key>otherCatalogs</key>
<array>
<string>index-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog</string>
<string>index-leopard-snowleopard.merged-1.sucatalog</string>
<string>index-lion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog</string>
</array>

And swupd.conf looks like this:

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>

RewriteEngine On

RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} Darwin/9

RewriteRule ^/index\.sucatalog$ /index-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog

RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} Darwin/10

RewriteRule ^/index\.sucatalog$ /index-leopard-snowleopard.merged-1.sucatalog

RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} Darwin/11

RewriteRule ^/index\.sucatalog$ /index-lion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog

</IfModule>

A welcome improvement of SLS over LS was that managing different client types no longer requires that I setup different computer groups and assign each their own SU URL. One also no longer needs to create the SymLinks at swupd/html as these are created automatically, such as this:

index-lion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog

Comparing the above blue text strings one can see they share a common pattern: lion-->snowleopard-->leopard

Why then does the Software Update Error Log say this:

File does not exist: /Volumes/unboxed/swupd/html/index-lion-leopard-snowleopard.merged-1.sucatalog

And is there a fix?

Lee

Posted on Jan 27, 2012 7:06 AM

2 replies

Lion Client can't Update Software via Snow Leopard Server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.