Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder does not search mounted drive in Tiger OS X

I just bought a Mac Pro 8 Quad with OSX Tiger 10.7.2. I have a Server that I mount, to work off of. I have found that the search funtion does not work on the mounted drive. When I try to search in a specific folder, nothing comes up. When I search the entire drive, it only searches the 1st folder in the drive and nothing else. I don't even get a search wheel, so it doesn't even look like it is trying to Search. Search/Spotlight seems to be fine for searching the actual computer hard drive.

Here is my performed search for something I knew was in the folder:

User uploaded file

And here you can clearly see there is a file with that name in that folder:

User uploaded file

This is making my job EXTREAMLY difficult as I have thousands of photos and it is a waste of time to try to scroll through everything. Especially when I am not sure on the exact name of the file, only what it contains.

PLEASE HELP!

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2), Processor: 2 x 2.4 GHz Quad-Core

Posted on Jan 27, 2012 8:05 AM

9 replies

Jan 27, 2012 9:08 AM in response to KJoySpanj

Make sure Spotlight is set to not have the volumes and folders in Privacy of its System Preference. If the Spotlight menu has a flashing dot in the middle of the icon it is still indexing the files to be able to be searched, which can be confirmed by selecting the Spotlight menu. If no indexing is indicated, it should be done indexing the last setting in System Preferences. If you are only interested in file name searching, the program FindAnyFile is much faster.

Jan 27, 2012 9:33 AM in response to a brody

Sorry that answer is slightly confusing to me. There are no drives or folders selected under the System preferences > Spotlight > Privacy > "Prevent Spotlight form searching these locations". It is blank.

I also do not have a flashing dot icon in the spotlight icon.

I want to be able to perfom the same search I did while using 10.5.8 that looked like this:

User uploaded file

I find it inconvenient and silly to have to download a separate program for something I was so easily be able to do in the last OSX I had running. I want to know why it works fine on 10.5 but refuses to search my mounted drive on 10.7.

I want to click on a folder in my mounted drive, and be able to search a term like "Tawil" and have all files that contain that phrase in the file name to appear (like above). Right now on the 10.7 I just get a blank window with no search wheel. (See original screen shot)

Any suggestions?

Jan 27, 2012 10:08 AM in response to a brody

There was no "system information" option under About this Mac , I clicked "more info" instead, but I think this is what you need?

Processor 2 x 2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Memory 6 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 ECC

Graphics ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB

Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2 (11C74)

My problem isn't with the hard drive though, it is with the mounted server when I go to Go > Connect to Server. That is what I am not able to search. It searches the hard drive just fine.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me with this. It is much appreciated!

Jan 27, 2012 10:40 AM in response to KJoySpanj

I have requested this thread be moved to the Windows Compatibility forum. http://www.macwindows.com/ may also have good tips about searching Windows file shares. You might want to find out at least what version of Windows you are searching, and if you are searching ExFat, FAT32, or NTFS shares. Mac OS X I know requires an NTFS plugin for full NTFS read/write capability, and that may be affecting your search.

Finder does not search mounted drive in Tiger OS X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.