Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Address Book will not search for names anymore on Lion.

Address Book does not search anymore in LION. I hit return and nothing happens. Any suggestions? Had been working on Lion for several months, but not now.

Bob

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jan 27, 2012 8:24 AM

6 replies

Jan 29, 2012 1:29 PM in response to Bobfox47

Hello,

I have the same here Lion MacOS 10.7 and Address Book won't search for names entered in the search field within Address Book nor find a name from an email header, nor from spotlight. I checked the spotlight preferences and Contacts are included in the indexed items.

It seemed to fail since contacts moved to iCloud recently.

Exported all contacts in a abbu file, then adding a few to test, they were searched ok. After having put back my 1115 cards in it, it won't search.

Tags : Carnet d'Adresses, recherche,

Jan 30, 2012 3:43 AM in response to 7clem

Hi, searching was fixed here by :

1. backing up all content using "export -> archive" in the file menu
  2. deleting all cards from the "my mac" section
  3. removing the icloud account
  4. adding the iCloud account again.

But cards now cannot be edited in the right pane (page) of the address book.

Though they can be oppened by a double clicj and edited there.

Weird. Anyone from Apple to help here ?

Jan 30, 2012 5:47 AM in response to Bobfox47

I found a fix! Not sure why it works, but it does.

Find Library folder by hitting Option key and Go Menu in Finder. Library is hidden now.

I copied my Addressbook folder from User/Library/ApplicationSupport/Addressbook to my desktop.

I then deleted my Metadata folder in the Address book folder ( still in Library). Someone said that might help. It made it worse.

So, I trashed the entire Addressbook folder in Library and put back my original Address Book folder.

Volia! All works like new. Don;t ask me why. God helped me! :>

Hope it works for you!

Blessings,

Bob

Apr 21, 2012 11:23 PM in response to Bobfox47

Since the last week or so, my "Address Book" does not search at all anymore for any contacts on iCloud (which is where I have all my contacts). I could not get it fixed the way you described it. Interestingly it searches if I have contacts "On my Mac" (which I usually don't), but not iCloud (which is where I have all my contacts).

I tried exporting my address book and re-inporting it (replacing all contacts), but it did not change anything.

Was anyone able to fix this besides Bobfox47, and if yes, can you give me detailed steps?

Address Book will not search for names anymore on Lion.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.