Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Library

Hi,

i currently use multiple laptops across various platforms.

i have all my music on an external drive and i want to be able to plug my external drive in, and in itunes all my music be there, not only this but i want to then manually sync it.

all i have seen is so far if i add a folder to my library it moves the music into an itunes folder on my computer and maxs out my memory.

please help

thanks matt

MacBook Air

Posted on Jan 27, 2012 8:41 AM

5 replies

Jan 27, 2012 8:45 AM in response to Matt482

You need to put your /Music/ folder onto the external drive. Then you need to hold down the OPTION key while double-clicking on the iTunes application. iTunes will open a dialog in which you can select the library you wish to open in iTunes.

For your home system you can set the location of the default iTunes library in iTunes' Advanced preferences.

May 5, 2012 6:10 AM in response to Matt482

Click the icon for iTunes and immediately hold down the Option button, keep holding until you get the "choose or create library" dialog.

How to open an alternate iTunes Library file or create a new one

Note you library needs to be in a portable layout with the iTunes Media folder inside the main iTunes library folder. If you've already moved your media folder out to your external drive then see this post on How to make a split library portable.

tt2

Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.