Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I use icloud with Linux?

I use a Macbook Pro because it is the best available laptop hardware. On desktops I use Ubuntu and Debian systems.

Posted on Jan 27, 2012 9:36 AM

11 replies

Oct 3, 2013 11:04 AM in response to brian32768

I have difficulty understanding why anyone would question why you want to sync calendars from different providers. The bottom live is that it is all your data. That's right, yours, not the provider's data. The different platform apps and viewers are views, or should be, on your data that you tell it you want to view with that app. Yes, I know that is not how many build software today. But it is most certainly The Right Thing (tm).

The reason we have the icalendar standard (some time ago) and the CalDav standard is precisely to support such interoperability. If some vendor is breaking that then they are effectively telling you it is their way or the highway and that they, not you, own your data. Demand they stop such nonsense and vote with your feet if they will not.

Feb 12, 2015 9:15 PM in response to patlucas

Apple uses the standard CardDAV protocol to make your contacts available. All you need to do is find your CardDAV URL and set it up in your mail client. Google will help you figure that out.

Same with your calendar. You need to use CalDAV. You just need the right URL.

The only one I am trying to find now is how to access iCloud Drive.

Adding Linux support for iCloud would be trivial, since Linux supports IMAP, CalDAV and CardDAV out of the box. All Apple would need to do is provide URLs.

The iCloud for Windows package is needed, because Windows doesn't support any of these standard protocols without the use of a third party app, like Thunderbird with the Lightning plugin.

Mar 8, 2013 3:21 AM in response to Untmdsprt

The server settings are in the link that Julian posted above. But here they are for redundancy.

iCloud Mail uses IMAP and SMTP standards supported by most modern email applications. You can use the server information below to manually configure your email application to send and receive iCloud Mail.

Notes:

• If you are using Mail on a Mac with OS X Lion (v10.7.2 or later), or Microsoft Outlook 2007 or 2010 on a Windows PC, follow these instructions for automated iCloud setup.
  • If you are using Mail on a Mac with Mac OS X Snow Leopard (v10.6), or a device with iOS 4, see this article with specific instructions.

For more information on how to use this information with your email application, consult your application's documentation.

IMAP (Incoming Mail Server) information:

• Server name: imap.mail.me.com
  • SSL Required: Yes
  • Port: 993
  • Username: example@me.com (use your @me.com address from your iCloud account)
  • Password: Your iCloud password

SMTP (outgoing mail server) information:

• Server name: smtp.mail.me.com
  • SSL Required: Yes
  • Port: 587
  • SMTP Authentication Required: Yes
  • Username: example@me.com (use your @me.com address from your iCloud account)
  • Password: Your iCloud password

Note: If you receive errors using SSL, try using TLS instead.

Additional Information

SSL is required for both IMAP and SMTP connection with iCloud. POP is not supported by iCloud.

Sep 3, 2014 2:47 PM in response to sjatkins

I have a Mac desktop, newer MacBook Pro, iMac, older MacBook, a Toshiba laptop running Ubuntu, an Android phone, a Blackberry tablet and an Android tablet. The older MacBook is an early core duo that will not handle the last few upgrades in Mac OS but runs very well with Ubuntu 14.02. They all sync nicely with Google products. I would prefer to have iCloud working on them all for a number of reasons (music for example). I am sure Apple management have their reasons but they should remember that Linux users tend to be innovative early adopters, even if their numbers are not many.

Jan 2, 2015 5:54 AM in response to jeliot

Hi

I am stuc

I am new to Linux and I would like to sync contacts with iCloud. I setup iCloud e-mail and that works perfectly. I have an application called Sync but I can't work-out how to set it up for iCloud as iCloud is not in the list of services it offers. I am stuck on the screen below.

User uploaded file

Can anybody help me?

Regards

Patrick

Jul 4, 2015 9:38 AM in response to sjatkins

You're confusing data syncing with data access. There are people with data in Apple's cloud, Microsoft's cloud and Google's cloud. Syncing would allow one to make a change to data in one cloud and have it replicated to the others. Whether it can be done or not, I don't know. I wouldn't even advise it.

What I would recommend is investigate each cloud. Is it accessible via open standards?

An alternative would be to set up your own cloud at home. But then you'll be responsible for your own backups. and there are other drawbacks.

Ivan.

How do I use icloud with Linux?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.