Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disable Landscape Orientation in iBooks?

Is it possible to disable Landscape Orientation in iBooks and only use Portrait?

Posted on Jan 27, 2012 10:50 AM

10 replies

Feb 7, 2012 2:12 AM in response to AodhFFXI

I see your point, but a single page is in portrait mode and almost all books are designed from the point of view of the portrait page. When you you are forced into the landscape mode this forces you to to go with the smaller version of the portrait page with dual columns if you want to approximate the look of a traditional book. If you are starting from scratch with a new book it isn't such a big deal to design completely in landscape, but if you are converting existing books to iBooks this a major problem and you need to completely redesign the book. Using portrait mode would also allow you to have larger pictures on the page. As it is know we are forced into Kindle Fire size graphics when we work in landscape mode.

I'm working on a series of art history books that already exist in published paper versions so that probably colors my views on this issue.

Feb 7, 2012 5:11 AM in response to scottfromberkeley

The logic is simple. When they designed iBA - they wanted author to focus only on 1 orientation (since designing for 2 orientation is a pain in the neck). For some reasons they chose landscape. The portrait mode is simply an alternative mode to the content of the landscape mode.

So in order to support portrait-only mode, this means that you need to support portrait as the default - and now all logics go wrong and they now need the same set of tools to design for portrait in additional to landscape. This started to make less sense.

And I think they already gave you a solution. If you want something like the Portrait mode, and without the landscape mode, the tool to use is Pages.

Feb 7, 2012 5:20 AM in response to limtc

Your design choices are too limited in portrait mode. You are forced into using the thumbnail track, you can't resize pictures, use background colors and so forth. I wish it was that simple but it isn't at least as far as I can fiqure out. If anyone knowns differently I'd love to know about it. I thought that was the purpose of this support group. We are all kind of on the bleeding edge here feeling around in the dark with out a proper users manual for the program.

Disable Landscape Orientation in iBooks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.