Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How Quick is iPhone's Movement/Immobility Detection?

Hello,

I would like to know how quickly can the iPhone detect Movement and Immobility

More specificaly..

Imagine I'm standing still, I put the iPhone in my pocket and then I start walking. How quickly can the iPhone pass from immobile state into detecting actual movement?

More importantly, let's say that I'm walking and suddendly I stop. How fast can the iPhone detect the new immobile state?

Does passing from movement to immobility take longer to be detected, because the accelerometer sensors need some time to "calm down" first in a way in order to then detect the new immobile state?

Or is this not the case and the response from the accelerometer sensors is immediate when it comes to passing from movement to immobility?

To put everything into perspective imagine I want the iphone to play a continuous sound when I start walking & while I'm walking and this sound should stop when I stop walking.

Now I understand ther might be some accidental movement inside my pocket even though I'm standing still for whatever reasons, and the accelerometer might detect that as actual movement.

However, is it possible to come up with some code where only data of value greater than X coming from the accelerometer, would be accepted as movement and therefore only data of greater than X value could trigger the event - sound starts/sound stops?

iPhone 4

Posted on Jan 27, 2012 11:06 AM

4 replies

Jan 27, 2012 11:12 AM in response to newbieDvp

I'm not really sure I understand what you're getting at for both 1 and 2.

I know with the Maps application, enabling the Navigation (pressing the navigation icon so that it's bright blue) is quite accurate. So it can travel you walking in real time.

An example of the accelerometer used in the iPhone would be for tilting purposes, like switching from landscape to vertical. There's most likely a moving part inside the actual accelerometer that can detect sudden movements. I don't know for sure.

Jan 27, 2012 11:19 AM in response to xtremecarbon

My question is more of a programming nature. I'm not asking about any particular app.

I'm just asking about how reliable iPhone's accelerometer is when it comes to detecting movement

I don't care about accuracy in acceleration etc., I'm only interested in the simpledetection of movement and immobility and distinguishing between the two and how fast/accurate iPhone's accelerometer does that

I'm asking this to see if I could succesfully use the related data coming from the accelerometer in some part of my code

How Quick is iPhone's Movement/Immobility Detection?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.