Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i7-2600 Win7 (Boot Camp) BSODs

We have 3 new i7-2600, 3.4GHz, 8GB imacs--2 running Win7-64 under Fusion VMs, 1 running Win7-64 on a Boot Camp partition. It's the latter machine which is problematic. Win7 install runs perfectly, Boot Camp drivers appear to install perfectly. However, soon after, machine freezes or is snagged by BSOD, e.g., “a clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor within the allocated time interval” or the dreaded “IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL”.

When functioning, machine’s Device Manager displays 8 total cores. I don’t understand the i7’s 4/8 capabilities; however did find a suggestion to try limiting cores upon boot … by way of msconfig (‘advanced’ dialog). Set it to 4 cores. Machine has been stable for 2 days now—no freezes, no BSODs. I have not found any discussions specific to the iMac i7-2600 re: these symptoms or this apparent workaround. Would love some insight if it can be had.

Ps. I have wiped the Boot Camp partition and reinstalled--same exact results. I have tested for possible memory defects--no problems detected. (8GB memory was installed by Apple Store.)

iMac, Windows 7

Posted on Jan 27, 2012 11:25 AM

2 replies

Jan 27, 2012 11:29 AM in response to david.a

Run Apple Hardware Test

Boot Windows DVD and run their Memtest

Windows is more sensitive ina good way to errors.

Even if it is xyz RAM doesn't rule it out, or that one DIMM isn't seated fully.

Or that you have an SSD? leading to issues?

There are some good programs Windows to torture test the system.

You should need need to worry about hyper-threading unless defect in cpu or a driver or application (rare now that HT has been around again for 3 yrs).

Jan 27, 2012 3:49 PM in response to The hatter

Thank you for your reply.

- RAM is fully seated

- Memtest: all good

- Apple Hardware Test (extended mode): no errors found

- SSD: not applicable

Not sure how to 'torture test' the 8-core/hyperthreaded setup since it BSODs within 1-2 minutes. Stress-testing the 4-core/non-hyperthreaded setup, i.e., the currently-modified boot profile, would provide irrelevant results.

Sticking with my msconfig workaround for now.

Perhaps another i7-2600/win7-64/Bootcamp/BSOD forum contributor will shed more light soon.

i7-2600 Win7 (Boot Camp) BSODs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.