Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Virtual Keyboard shows up on admin password prompt.

Hello, since i upgradet to Lion, i always had this problem but i ignored it. Sometimes i need to use virtual keyboard for russian language. So i open it from the preferences and use it. After that i close it in the same way i opened. Seems all ok. But from now on, every time the system asks for admin password (for example uninstall app store apps, login or switching the user etc) virtual keyboard shows up automatically and there is no way to get rid of it until i reboot.

Is there a way to fix that?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2), MBP 5.3 - Crucial 8GB DDR3 1066Mhz

Posted on Jan 27, 2012 12:31 PM

7 replies

Jan 28, 2012 3:01 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Neither one of these solutions helped me. Whenever system asks me for password, i get virtual keyboard on the screen.

Tom Gewecke wrote:

Try trashing the .plist in Home/Library/Preferences with KeyboardViewer in its name.

Király wrote:

See this: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3104

Also, i don't know why, but when i delete my keyboard plist, it recreates it with only this inside:

<key>KVKeyboardID</key >

<integer>44</integer>

But when the bug occurs and the VK shows up, the plist changes in :

<key>KVKeyboardID</key >

<integer>44</integer>

<key>NSWindow Frame KeyboardViewerWindow</key>

<string>68 231 534 228 9 9 1449 878 </string>

And keeps staying the same even after closing VK. It only resets plist on system reboot.

Jan 28, 2012 3:32 AM in response to svkrzn

I also found this archived thread: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2512967?start=0&tstart=0

(keyboard viewer shows up everytime i need to enter a password)

where the answer was

Sounds like a corrupt LaunchServices database. Launch the Terminal app in /Applications/Utilities/, copy & paste this one-liner into the window that pops up, and hit the return key:

*/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchS ervices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user*

Repair permissions and restart. That should do the trick.

But it didn't help me.

Jan 28, 2012 3:54 AM in response to svkrzn

And here i write again since i found the bug and how to avoid it. My default language is italian. If i open textedit and open VK switching the italian language to russian or spanish and write a couple of words with it, when close VK and switch back to italian, if i try to use something with the admin password, VK shows up. But i found how to hide it! Just close the password prompt, switch language back to russian/spanish/other, redo the password prompt and you see what it automatically switches to default language and won't show the keyboard. Close the password prompt again, switch back from the previous language to the default one and that's all.

Seems that i have to do so every time i use a different language for writing. Maybe a bug..?

Dec 24, 2012 3:13 AM in response to svkrzn

svkrzn's final solution worked for me too! Thanks!

To clarify, the steps are -

1. With the password prompt closed, switch to the other language (ex: Devanagari) you used.
  2. Reopen the password prompt (example: by doing "show password" in Keychain Access). The language will automatically switch to the default and the keyboard/character viewer won't appear.
  3. Close password prompt
  4. Switch back to original language (ex: US English).

Virtual Keyboard shows up on admin password prompt.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.