Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

need to erase and restore factory settings, but no OS disc came with mac 13"

I need to erase the contents of my brand new macbook pro 13" bought this month and restore factory settings, and I've noticed that all tutorials about how to do this say you need the original MAC OS X installation CD....however i'm sure that mine did not come with one of these. I've looked at the box and it doesn't mention that it comes with any CD...and it actually says on the contents "pre installed mac OS X and iLife"

therefore, I have two questions for anyone who might be able to help...

1) Did anyone else with a 13" brand new Macbook pro receive Mac OS CD's in their box?

2) Is there any way I can delete and restore factory settings without any disc? When i get Disc Utility open all my options under "erase"(Erase Free Space, Security options and Erase) are all shadowed out and i cannot go any further.

if I need this disc is it something that I have to send to Apple for, or can get in a store...(any idea how much?)

Many many thanks for any advice!!

(it's a 13" Macbook Pro 2.8ghz)

macbook pro, Mac OS X (10.5)

Posted on Jan 27, 2012 12:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2012 12:49 PM

If it shipped with Lion, restart with the Option key held down and use Lion's recovery partition. If not, phone Apple and order replacements.

(63568)

13 replies

Jan 27, 2012 4:31 PM in response to Niel

Thanks niel, this looks like it will certainly work and the options for me are now un shadowed and I can select them. I have two disk choices one says 750.16GB toshiba mk....media or macintosh HD...does it matter or should I select both?

Also I'm in no rush so should I just select the most secure method, or does it damage it in anyway ? (as its almost new computer) don't want to harm it.

Many thanks for your help!!

Jan 27, 2012 4:39 PM in response to dj_rag

Your best bet to wipe the complete drive and reinstall Lion is to use the Recovery disk assistant downloaded from Apple and create a boot USB thumb drive that has all the files included on the built in Recovery partitions.

That way you can erase the complete drive and then reinstall Lion. Otherwise you would need to erase just the Macintosh HD parittion and reinstall Lion. Which is OK bu personally I like to start from a complete clean drive.

Mar 17, 2012 6:26 PM in response to Niel

I had the same problem, the only disk available was locked. I had to restart, hold Option and boot from the Sandisk USB drive. HOWEVER I still had the "disk is locked" issue until I used Disk Utility to "repair" the now erased hard drive. Only then did the erased HD appear in the Install Mac OS X screen.

Next question: to install Mac OS X lion, it's prompting me for my appleID and password...is this dangerous to install software under my Apple ID before sending the computer to somebody else? That is, could the next user recover data from my account?

need to erase and restore factory settings, but no OS disc came with mac 13"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.