Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Table of contents placeholder not working?

So far, everything is working well. I have my book about ready to go, but I need to customize the table of contents. There is a placeholder on each TOC page that as far as I can tell from the Help files, you can drop an image there. However, I can't seem to get it to work. Dropping anything there simple seems to place it on top of the placeholder, not "in" it. How is this done? or is it meant for something else?

Thanks.

Posted on Jan 27, 2012 2:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2012 1:10 PM

It's a media placeholder. It cannot be deleted or unlocked, and it only accepts iPhoto files.

Had that same problem myself, and the only solution I have found (and seen on here) is to drag the placeholder off of the working area. That is what I am currently doing.

13 replies

Feb 2, 2012 6:30 PM in response to kb8wfh

the place holder on the Master TOC page automaticly loads the image from each chapter page, you can't add anything to that place holder all you can do is adjust the size and location. (it should be labled differently to avoid confussion)

any image you add to the Master TOC page will appear the same on each chapter TOC page.

but if you add an image to the place holder on each individual chapter page, the TOC for that chapter will load that image.

Not sure if that makes sense, it is confusing, but there is a set way it works.

Feb 9, 2012 8:07 AM in response to kb8wfh

My analysis on the Image Placeholder for the TOC page has resulted in the following conclusions.

• You ARE able to include any image on each of the chapter pages in the TOC
  • In order for a chapter page in the TOC to have its own separate image, you must define one of your images in the Chapter Layout for that chapter to have a tag of "Main Image." If you do not have an image in your Chapter Layout defined as "Main Image," then you cannot drag an image into the Media Placeholder for that Chapter in the TOC.
  • To define an image with a "Main Image" tag
  • Select the Chapter Layout
  • Select an Image
  • Go to Layout tab in the Inspector
  • Select "Editable on Pages using this Layouy"
  • Set the tag to "Main Image"
  • The corresponding chapter page in the TOC will now have that image in the Media Placeholder
  • You are NOT limited to having the same image in your TOC that is on the Chapter Layout. You can now change the image in the Media Placeholder on that chapter page in the TOC by dragging an image on to it

Let me know if this works for everyone.

Cheers,

Jim

Feb 9, 2012 8:54 AM in response to James Hollis

Yes, that is how it works.

The templates are set up like that,

So you can do it all with drag and drop and don't have to change setting in the inspector. But if you delete the chapter place holder, thats how you would get it woking again.

Your last point about changing the image does not work for me,

If i replace the image with a new one, the new image shows in the chapters TOC.

But I can bring in a new image and place it OVER the old image (not replacing it) and that works.

I also drag the "main image" off the page.

Mar 4, 2012 2:03 AM in response to Barnheisel

My TOC haven´t added a single frame yet. Have I done it wrong from the beginning?User uploaded file

My first frame is foreword and there I have deleted the image that´s already there and customized with my own image. Then after that I haven´t added any "chapterframes". I have only added a blank frame and put an image there and written part 1, part 2 and so on. Is this the wrong way to do it?

Why haven´t the foreword shown up in the TOC?

Table of contents placeholder not working?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.