Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme and Foscam IP Camera

I have an airport extreme (firmware is up to date) connecting to the internet with a cable modem. I am trying to set up a Foscam FI8918W IP Camera to be accessed by the on the internet. The camera works, Ethernet access to the camera works, wireless access to the camera works. I just cannot not access it from the internet. I am running Lion 7.2 on a Mini.

I have only little patches of hair left after working on this for hours. Please help me keep the rest of my hair!

Mac mini (Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jan 27, 2012 4:13 PM

1 reply

Jan 28, 2012 1:27 AM in response to ncouncil

To successfully access an IP camera on the local network from the Internet, the following basics need to be taken care of:

1. Install the camera(s) and verify that you can access them from the local network.
  2. Configure port mapping/forwarding on your router. Typically, IP cameras require at least two ports: 1) A web port for administering the camera; Usually TCP port 80, and 2) A streaming port to broadcast the camera video feed; Usually UDP port 9000. Note: You should check with your camera's documentation for the exact ports required.
  3. If the camera is attached to a computer, you will need to configure the computer's firewall to open the same ports as in step 2 above.
  4. Verify that your modem is in bridge mode, i.e., if the modem provides NAT & DHCP services, turn them off.
  5. Test your network. Use CheckIP to determine your router's current WAN-side (public) IP address. Then, from a remote location (not from a computer on the local network), use the DynDNS Open Port Tool to verify that the required ports are open. Success is an "Open" response from the Tool.

Note: I am assuming that your wireless camera is accessible via a web browser on the local network.

1. Start the AirPort Utility > Select the 802.11n AirPort Extreme Base Station (AEBSn).
  2. Select Manual Setup.
  3. Verify that Connection Sharing = Share a public IP address is selected on the Internet > Internet Connection tab.
  4. Select Advanced, and then, select the Port Mapping tab.
  5. Click the plus sign to add a new port mapping.
  6. For Service, leave the default; this will change to "Custom" once you start entering port values.
  7. In the Public UDP Port(s) and Public TCP Port(s) boxes, type in a 4-digit port number (e.g., 8888) that you choose. In the Private IP Address box, type the internal IP address of your camera. In the Private UDP Port(s) and Private TCP Port(s) boxes, enter the appropriate port values that should have been provided to you by the camera manufacturer. Click Continue.
  8. In the Description box, type a descriptive name like "Internet Camera Access," and then, click Done.
  9. Click on Update.

To connect to the shared Camera from a remote location using a Mac or PC:

1. Start your favorite web browser.
  2. Enter the dtdns.com-provided Domain Name, followed by a colon and the Public port number that you choose in step 7 of the previous procedure. For example: http://www.mydtdnsdomainname.com:8888

Airport Extreme and Foscam IP Camera

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.