Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Different headers in a long document

I want to be able to use different headers in different sections of my book that I'm writing, like Part 1, Part 2 or major section headings, not the same header all through. Is this possible in Pages please?

Thank you, Keith

Posted on Jan 27, 2012 5:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2012 5:56 PM

Insert a Section break at the end of each section, where you want the header to change.

Click in the body of the first page od the new section. Open the Insoector.

In the Inspector, click the Layout button (second from left), then choose section.

User uploaded file

Uncheck the box labeled "Use previous headers and footers"

Click in the header and edit to show the new header text and calculated values.

Regards,

Barry

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 27, 2012 5:56 PM in response to Keith Worsley-Brown

Insert a Section break at the end of each section, where you want the header to change.

Click in the body of the first page od the new section. Open the Insoector.

In the Inspector, click the Layout button (second from left), then choose section.

User uploaded file

Uncheck the box labeled "Use previous headers and footers"

Click in the header and edit to show the new header text and calculated values.

Regards,

Barry

Mar 18, 2014 8:22 AM in response to Keith Worsley-Brown

I am going through the same process as Keith

I want left header (title of book) right header (chapter title)

I have sorted as above going into layout / Section and clicking left and right pages are different

BUT when applied it removes the left had page numbers in the footer

How do you ensure that the page numbers do run across the section left and right?

many thanks indeed

Gary

Mar 19, 2014 10:02 AM in response to gazzakot1

Good advice from Fruhulda.

I don't have Pages 5 installed, so this response may be accurate for only earlier versions.

Whn you specify that left and right are different, you may have to rebuild the headers and footers on ither the left or right page.

For your case, go to a left page footer, then go Insert > Page Number (in the footer). Position as desired.

Regards,

Barry

Different headers in a long document

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.