Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I recover iTunes movie purchases deleted from my iPad 2?

My co-worker needed my iPad 2 for a road show ... he deleted iTunes purchased video (Disney Enchanted, and the CARS Bundle) ... I just purchased them 3 weeks ago ... I have HOME SHARING enabled, and can see the icons for these video files on my iTunes software on my desktop, but then iTunes says it "cannot find the files".

I thought it would be as easy as going to iTunes and just downloading the files again... iTunes warns me "you've already bought these -- do you want to buy it again?", and of course the answer is "NO, iTUNES, I JUST WANT TO DOWNLOAD THE FILES TO THE SAME DEVICE AGAIN" (but that isn't an option!).

What do I have to do to recover these files?

Don't tell me I have to purchase them again! That would be BULLSH*T (sorry, I'm annoyed and don't understand why this isn't easier. It should be OBVIOUS.)

Posted on Jan 27, 2012 6:30 PM

15 replies

Jan 27, 2012 6:37 PM in response to wjbrown2010

If you want to ticked off - be ticked off at your coworker for deleting the movies.

You cannot download the movies again without paying for them. That is not Apple's doing but the decision of the movie studios to not allow it. If you want them back, you have to pay for them again.

IF - they are in your iTunes library - you should be able to sync them to the iPad again.

Jan 27, 2012 6:45 PM in response to Johnathan Burger

This doesn't seem like it was fully disclosed -- or at least, very clearly -- by Apple. I mean, c'mon ... you think it works like anything else 😟

I ordered them on the iPad, and there was no pop-up notification that said "you should sync it (with the cable) to your PC" ... I have my order number and everything.

I mean, its the SAME DEVICE -- same identical iPad 2, same device serial number, same Apple ID ... I get that the movie studios don't want to see any piracy, and I support that (which is why I'm using Apple iTunes!) ... but what the heck is this "they're deleted off the device .. their gone!".

That seems very anti-consumer and I'm stunned that Apple hasn't taken a harder line about it, in the customer's interest. What if my iPad had been stolen? I mean, not my fault -- but the movies I purchased (digital media) aren't replaceable? I cry B-S.

(I appreciate your earlier response and really am not venting at you, but I take it Apple's Indian CSR is going to give me some scripted B-S response that won't be any different).

Jan 27, 2012 6:48 PM in response to Demo

No, Demo ... I'm ticked off at Apple. It's not disclosed when you shop MOVIES from iTunes on your mobile device that they're "irrecoverable" ... I'd NEVER buy a FULL PRICE Disney movie from iTunes off my devices if that had been disclosed, although in this case, had there been a simple dialog prompt to say "please back-up your movie purchase ASAP by connecting to your external iTunes software", I would have done that.

I bought "Mulan" for my kids through the Windows iTunes software access to the store ... it's now running on 3 DEVICES. Why is it different for movies purchased on my mobile device?

Where's the Steve Jobs-like good design here?!?

Jan 27, 2012 6:52 PM in response to wjbrown2010

Email iTunes support. Like I said, they may make a one-time exception for you and let you redownload.

The movie studios are notriously paranoid about pirating and have not yet figured out that placing such heavy restrictions on paying customers is more likely to turn them into either a) not customers or b) pirates. To be fair, look at it from their perspective: If you have one copy of a movie, and you figure out a way to give it to someone, then redownload it, you could keep this going and going and rob the studios of all their profit!

This policy has been around since the beginning of iTunes. In fact, music and tv shows couldn't be redownloaded either until very recently. So, this is not a "post Steve Jobs policy."

Jan 27, 2012 7:00 PM in response to wjbrown2010

wjbrown2010 wrote:

...had there been a simple dialog prompt to say "please back-up your movie purchase ASAP by connecting to your external iTunes software", I would have done that.

Do you back up your computer files? Is there a "simple dialog prompt" that reminds you whenever you create a new file? If not, how do you know that making a backup is the sensible thing to to?

wjbrown2010 wrote:

I bought "Mulan" for my kids through the Windows iTunes software access to the store ... it's now running on 3 DEVICES. Why is it different for movies purchased on my mobile device?

Because you did a sync to copy it onto three devices. Why is that not your S.O.P? Why did you choose NOT to sync the other movies?

Jan 27, 2012 7:02 PM in response to wjbrown2010

Ridiculous.

Apple does not own the movies, they are an authorized reseller.

They do not dictate terms to the movie studios.

Taking a hard line would mean having nothing to sell.

If you had read the iTunes terms of service, you would have seen this:

Some iTunes Products, including but not limited to Content rentals, may be downloaded only once and cannot be replaced if lost for any reason. It is your responsibility not to lose, destroy, or damage iTunes Products once downloaded, and you may wish to back them up.

The delivery of iTunes Products does not transfer to you any commercial or promotional use rights in the iTunes Products. Any burning or exporting capabilities are solely an accommodation to you and shall not constitute a grant, waiver, or other limitation of any rights of the copyright owners in any content embodied in any iTunes Product.

Jan 27, 2012 7:06 PM in response to wjbrown2010

Sorry - I know that you are upset - but you are totally wrong as well.

Playing a movie that you purchased in iTunes - on three different devices that are authorized for iTunes content - is totally different than wanting to download the movie again at no charge.

Wait - try this. Go buy the Movie on DVD again at Target tomorrow and let your coworker toss it out the window. Then go back to Target and tell them that you demand another copy because you let your coworker throw it away and you already purchased it before so you are entitled to a free replacement.

You have nobody to blame except your coworker and yourself for not taking the necessary precautions like backing up your purchased content.

BTW - if you plead your case with Apple for a redownload, I wouldn't recommend telling them that you lent the iPad to a coworker and he deleted the movie from the device. That would take brass nuts to do that and expect a free download.

Jun 23, 2012 10:52 AM in response to wjbrown2010

Hi, a bit late for a reply..but I did almost the same whilst on holiday last week. Bought a movie from Itunes and had to delete it to make space on Ipad for another movie. Thought I had lost the first movie as it seemed to have dissapearded and not showing up anywhere..DOH ..but after a short while I realised you can right click on your Ipad in Itunes and "transfer purchases from 'yourIpad" and this will back up to your main computer....simpes!

How do I recover iTunes movie purchases deleted from my iPad 2?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.