Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

whem installing itunes i get this message "this installation package could not be opened. Verifiy that the package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid windows installer package"

whem installing itunes on my mums new computer which is windows 7 i get this message everytime "this installation package could not be opened. Verifiy that the package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid windows installer package"

iPod nano, my mums ipod nano touch

Posted on Jan 28, 2012 2:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2017 5:47 PM

In case this helps anyone, I had exactly this issue and solved it. In my case, there was a special character in the name of the folder at:

C:\Users\(username)

(It was a backtick in my particular (friend's) case, but I wouldn't be surprised if other special characters might cause the same trouble.) The actual account name / username had actually been changed to no longer include any special characters, but Windows does *not* have a mechanism to change the above-mentioned folder name, and so it leaves it as-is even after one's user account is renamed.

So the solution was to simply create a new Administrator user to replace the existing problematic one and then use the new user account instead (and ideally delete the old one once you don't need it anymore / have transferred everything over).

https://www.infopackets.com/news/9429/new-used-pc-how-do-i-change-user-name-cuse rs

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 14, 2017 5:47 PM in response to donna_baron__

In case this helps anyone, I had exactly this issue and solved it. In my case, there was a special character in the name of the folder at:

C:\Users\(username)

(It was a backtick in my particular (friend's) case, but I wouldn't be surprised if other special characters might cause the same trouble.) The actual account name / username had actually been changed to no longer include any special characters, but Windows does *not* have a mechanism to change the above-mentioned folder name, and so it leaves it as-is even after one's user account is renamed.

So the solution was to simply create a new Administrator user to replace the existing problematic one and then use the new user account instead (and ideally delete the old one once you don't need it anymore / have transferred everything over).

https://www.infopackets.com/news/9429/new-used-pc-how-do-i-change-user-name-cuse rs

Jun 9, 2017 9:53 AM in response to Adamescu

I just solved this issue with my computer. FYI I've never had iTunes in the machine before i tried installing it which is why the other previous solutions didn't work for me. The issue seemed to be that i was not signed in as the "Administrator". Even when i ran the iTunes installation file as "run as administrator" it still failed to install. Here is how to fix it.

1) click on start button, then right-click on computer. Go to "manage"

2) In computer management windows, go to "Local users and groups", go into "users" folder.

In there you will see multiple accounts for the computer along with Administrator and Guests

3) double click on Administrator and un-check the "account is disabled" box. Hit apply and ok.

4) Now, go to start button, and hit "switch user" (should be where you restart or shut down the computer)

5) You will log into the Administrator account and install iTunes. Once it installs, you can switch users back to the user you use normally.

Optional:

You can go back to steps 1-3 and disable the administrator account, it wont affect anything, you will just have to select which account you want to sign in every time you boot up your machine.

Hope this helps.

Feb 4, 2012 8:02 AM in response to donna_baron__

Try repair your Apple Software Update.

Go to START/ALL PROGRAMS/Apple Software Update. If it offers you a newer version of Apple Software Update, do it but Deselect any other software offered at the same time. Once done, try another iTunes install

If you don't see ASU from ALL PROGRAMS, check from your CONTROL PANEL

START/CONTROL PANEL/PROGRAMS N FEATURES/highlight APPLE SOFTWARE UPDATE and click REPAIR button.

Feb 4, 2012 11:26 AM in response to donna_baron__

Let's check your Windows system.

1. Have you done all the important windows updates and service Packs on your system. If not do it now. START button, type in Windows Update and ENTER. Select 'CHECK FOR UPDATES'

2. Let's check your Windows system files for possible file corruption

SCAN and repair possible Windows system file corruption:

Go to command prompt (START/ALL PROGRAMS/ACCESSORIES right mouse click "command prompt" and choose "Run as Administrator"

type in

sfc /scannow

let Windows fix any system files that need to be repaired.

Restart the computer if it did actually repair any files.

3. Check your system for possible Malware. But you have to do it in WIndows Safe Mode.

Start your computer in "Safe mode with networking", go to this link download a free version of Malwarebyte.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free

Install and perform update immediately, then do a full SCAN. Remove malware if it indeed finds any. Restart computer to regular windows to let Malwarebyte complete the removal.

To start your computer in safe mode

Press and hold the F8 key as your computer starts. You need to press F8 before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows logo appears, you'll need to try again by waiting until the Windows logon prompt appears, and then shutting down and restarting your computer.

On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight the "safe mode with networking" option, and then press Enter. Log on to your computer with a user account that has administrator rights.

When your computer is in safe mode, you'll see the words Safe Mode in the corners of your screen. To exit safe mode, restart your computer and let Windows start normally.

May 31, 2016 5:16 AM in response to Adamescu

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach.

Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, need to revert to an older version or want to try the iTunes for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards) release as a workaround for installation or performance issues, or compatibility with third party software.

Your library and device backups should be unaffected by these steps but there are links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

tt2

whem installing itunes i get this message "this installation package could not be opened. Verifiy that the package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid windows installer package"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.