Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Prohibitory sign when installing Windows

Hi,

I am having huge problems installing Windows 7.

I have a perfectly good Windows 7 DVD which boots on other devices, yet it doesn't on mine. First off it started with spitting out the DVD (which I can understand 😉 ), so I thought its my superdrive. I went and bought a new drive today, except this is a SATA drive and tried to boot from there. It loads the DVD fast and easy within OSX, but when I reboot and try to boot from the disk it hops to a flashing Apple logo flashing with a Prohibitory sign (circle with a slash).

I think I have tried about everything. The following scenarios I have tried:

• Partitioning the OSX Boot disk with a bootcamp disk (50/50)
  • Using disk utility, formatting a 750GB disk as FAT with MBR
  • Using bootcamp to start the instalation
  • Rebooting holding ALT and chosing the Windows DVD as boot source
  • Rebooting holding C
  • The above using an original Windows 7 disk
  • The above using an original Windows XP disk
  • The above usign an original downloaded Windows 8 disk
  • The above using an illigal download of Winodws 7 (just for testing purpose)
  • The above using a burned dvd with Debian 5 Netinstall
  • The above both with a new DVD drive and the old Superdrive
  • The above with a USB installation disk (but found out that only MBA's support USB boot)
  • The above removing the lion boot HDD and installing Snow Leopard on an other HDD

The only boot that works is using the orignal OSX boot disk. Tried with Leopard and Snow Leopard but get the same results.

I am running out of options here and would like to install Windows (don't ask why! 😉)

I searched google so much that I expect them to tell me to give up already! I found these pages from Apple explaining the problem:

http://support.apple.com/KB/HT2674

http://support.apple.com/KB/TS1892?viewlocale=en_US

So I have tried to restore my firmware using the 1.5 Restore CD (burned to a DVD) and holding the power button, but it doesn't restore. It gives the tone, searched the DVD and boots OSX normally. OSX does read the DVD and shows it correctly.

I have a Mac Pro 3,2 with the following setup:
2x 2.8GHz Intel XEON Quad Core CPU

4GB (4x 1GB) PC6400 DDR2 ECC (FB_DIMM)

3.1TB HDD (1TB Seagate + 1TB Seagate + 350GB WD, +750GB Seagate)

Original Superdrive

Liteon DVD-RW (http://www.webhallen.com/hardvara/106943-lite-on_intern_sata_dvdrw_24x-svart) brand new! (since the superdrive has problems)

ATI Radeon HD 2600

30" Cinema HD

The mac has the latest version of Lion installed (Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2 (11C74)).

Please, does anybody have any ideas? I am desperate =S

Regards,

Paul Peelen

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2), 3,2 - 3.1TB - 4GB ECC

Posted on Jan 28, 2012 3:22 AM

7 replies

Jan 28, 2012 10:45 AM in response to The hatter

Yes, I noticed that typo as well but couldn't edit my post anymore. Sorry for that.

I am unsure with you mean with your second part, but I guess you mean I should you another computer to format the drive and install windows on it.

It sure is a good idea, but I don't have one suitable for it. I have two MacBooks, an MacBook air and 2 Mac mini's... None of which can install an 3.5" data drive.

Besides that, it should work on a Mac pro. This would just be treating the symptoms.

Jan 29, 2012 5:50 AM in response to PPeelen

What I said, never leave any other drive present in your Mac Pro when installing Windows. None. Ever.

And no external drives, FW and USB included.

And definitely pull anything else.

panics are hardware.

Well you did say you wanted to rollback firmware, and that is something that is blocked unless the flash was unsuccessful. so I didn't think it was a typo (some people just paste the top headed from system profiler).

And yes, you can install the first phase - no updates - of Windows and that put it in your Mac. Works on MacPro1,1 and 2,1 that don't support Windows 64-bit.

The Mini does have an SATA connection that can be run externally but a PC tower would be preferable.

Apple's own Pro RAID card does not allow for Boot Camp, and some other cards can as well.

Mac Pro RAID Card

Jan 29, 2012 12:29 PM in response to The hatter

I understand you idea, and have tried it. The only USB devices connected were my keyboard and mouse. However, paranoia aside; it shouldn't make any difference. Besides that, I did not get a kernel panic error, but a prohibitory sign, meaning some boot efi is not found.

Regardign the typo, since I wrote the text and surely did meant a Mac Pro, I can promise you it was a typo. Regardless of your opinion 😉

I have not opened my MacMini, and I don't really feel like it either. Like I wrote, the Mac Pro should be able to handle it itself.

But, sadness aside... I got it to work. I made a post on superuser.com and got some great help. I accepted an answer so have a look there if you like to know how it got solved.

http://superuser.com/questions/382442/mac-pro-wont-boot-from-windows-7-dvd-flash ing-prohibitory-sign/383394#383394

Thanks for all the help!

Regards,
Paul Peelen

Jan 29, 2012 12:49 PM in response to PPeelen

UEFI 2.0 is Intel name and standard for what Early Mac Pro 2008 uses.

EFI 1.x is Apple naming, not the same.

The issue with booting Windows 7 64-bit, MacPro 2.1 can't boot from Vista SP1 64-bit and later w/o changing the DVD EFI boot menu code. That is not true on a 2008.

Half the time or more I am not at a desk but 'single finger' typing on tablet.

There is a forum for Windows on Mac, Boot Camp forum.

Not sure why the snide aside about opinion. We had one person that wanted to flash his Mac, no matter what, and change processor card, turn a 4,1 into a hackin-5,1.

I see people try to use FW-DVD and have trouble, so when trouble comes calling, disconnect. And an ATTO or Areaca card would be one item to include in hardware profile.

Intel - Microsoft UEFI and Apple are Apple and Oranges different. When I with Mac Pro 1,1 tried, I had to run down Imgburn and all the articles I could. One though is no longer online that helped a lot of peopole ("Jowie - "Select CDROM 1 or 2" was a common issue, and is the EFI bug). Yours, is different and never heard of 3.1 having an issue - though I am seeing trouble now with Windows 7 SP1 64-bit on 2011 Macs. So keep that in mind.

My bookmarks on Windows on Macs and EFI issues:

UEFI Windows 64-bit Mac

Native UEFI Windows 7 Boot on Mac Mini David's space

UEFI support and requirements

Windows GPT UEFI FAQ

About UEFI

Platforms that use UEFI

Prohibitory sign when installing Windows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.