Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk Utility not letting me partition.

I want to create a partition to install Ubuntu on, but all I get is this, and it doesn't let me partition it.

User uploaded file

I don't know where the grey box (free space came from). All I can do is make the grey box bigger. Nothing else.

All I can imagin is that I tried installing Ubuntu before (from a CD) and when it asked me where to install it I clicked "Free Space" because it didn't ask me if I wanted to partioon the hard drive.

Just remembered that I encrypted the hard drive. Could that be it as well?

So my two questions are:

- how can I make a partition again?

- how can I remove the "free space" partition?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7), 13.3", 2.7 GHz, 500 GB

Posted on Jan 28, 2012 4:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2012 7:50 AM

That definitely has to do with the encryption on the disk. Thats what that message CoreStorage Physical volume is referring to.

Sorry I don;t have a solution, if you google for that CoreStorage message you'll get some ideas. One thing I can tell you make sure you have this disk backed up if you start messing around with this. The chances of messing up is sort of high.

regards

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 28, 2012 7:50 AM in response to Druid of Luhn

That definitely has to do with the encryption on the disk. Thats what that message CoreStorage Physical volume is referring to.

Sorry I don;t have a solution, if you google for that CoreStorage message you'll get some ideas. One thing I can tell you make sure you have this disk backed up if you start messing around with this. The chances of messing up is sort of high.

regards

Disk Utility not letting me partition.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.