Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving iPhoto from Snow Leopard to Lion

I have installed Lion "fresh" on a new partition of the drive where I previously ran Snow Leopard. I've successfully moved just about everything over to Lion but am having problems with iPhoto.

My Snow Leopard was running iPhoto 9.2.1 which appears to be the latest version for SL as I write this. However, on Lion, the latest version appears to be 9.1.5. If I try to run the 9.2.1 version I get an error that tells me there's a problem running that version with the version of OS I have. If I run 9.1.5, which does launch OK on Lion, it tells me the iPhoto library is newer than the current version of iPhoto and won't work with it. Quite a conundrum! I'm surpised the latest iPhoto version for Lion is older than Snow Leopard. Nevertheless, how do I migrate the library?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jan 28, 2012 6:14 AM

13 replies

Jan 28, 2012 6:22 AM in response to bediddleby

BTW, I just found an Apple web page (below) where one can download the 9.2.1 iPhoto update (supposedly compatible with Lion 10.7.2 or later). Not sure why this update doesn't register via Software Update. I have two Lion computers and it doesn't show for either one. I'm downloading it manually now to see if that works, but it'll be a while at 370+mb.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1462

Jan 28, 2012 9:07 AM in response to bediddleby

Several hours later... download complete. I get this error when I try to install the 9.2.1 update: "The version of iPhoto installed on this Mac must be updated through the Mac App Store. Check the Mac App Store to see if an update is available."

App store / Updates shows 9.2.1 available. When I click Update, I get:

These apps cannot be accepted on this computer.

Future updates of these apps can be found through Software Update.

Software Update still shows no update for iPhoto. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!! Why is this so difficult?

Jan 28, 2012 1:32 PM in response to Yer_Man

Terence Devlin wrote:

1. There is no difference between iPhoto on 10.6 or 10.7. There is no "iphoto for Snow Leopard" or "iPhoto for Lion". There is iPhoto 11. It's the same regardless of the OS.

That's what I thought, but I also have a new MacBook I bought a couple months ago that came with Lion and iPhoto '11. It also runs only 9.1.5 and Software Update does not offer the 9.2.1 version. This is what is leading me to believe the 9.2.1 is only for SL - maybe that's not Apple's intention, but why can't I get 9.2.1 on EITHER of my Lion MacBooks?

2. Where did this version of iphoto come from? Disk? Preinstalled? Purchased on the App Store?

I got the MacBook I'm posting about last year and it came with Snow Leopard and iLife preinstalled. Through routine Software Updates, it currently runs iPhoto 9.2.1.

If I try to copy the 9.2.1 from SL, I get this:

"iPhoto cannot be opened because of a problem. Check with the developer to make sure iPhoto works with this version of Mac OS X. You may need to reinstall the application. Be sure to install any available updates for the application and Mac OS X."

As I said, if I use iPhoto 9.1.5, it runs fine, but won't read my library.

Jan 28, 2012 1:36 PM in response to bediddleby

I also have a new MacBook I bought a couple months ago that came with Lion and iPhoto '11. It also runs only 9.1.5 and Software Update does not offer the 9.2.1 version.

The newer machine needs to be updated via the App Store not Software Update. If you're not being offered the Update then you need to go to the Purchases List and Accept iPhoto there. After a few moments you will be offered the update.

Regards

TD

Jan 28, 2012 1:46 PM in response to Yer_Man

The newer machine needs to be updated via the App Store not Software Update. If you're not being offered the Update then you need to go to the Purchases List and Accept iPhoto there. After a few moments you will be offered the update.

I just did this on the other MacBook I mentioned; the one that came with Lion. It's currently downloading 9.2.1. 762mb? Seriously?!?! 😮

Ok, so the MacBook on which I'm migrating from SL to Lion is still my problem. A) is there a way for me to use the 762mb download so I don't have to download it over again? B) I'm getting the 9.1.5 version (that works) from the other Lion MacBook - is that the root of the problem? If so, how do I correctly get iPhoto installed on Lion when it came pre-installed on SL?

Jul 25, 2012 12:34 PM in response to bediddleby

I bought a new (mid April 2012) "open box" MacBook Pro running Lion that did not come with disks. I have an older MBP running Snow Leopard and iLife 09. When I try installing iLife on the new machine, from the disk that came with the Snow Leopard machine, I get an error that the version is not compatible. I tried transfering iPhoto from the old machine to the new one, and when I try to lauch iPhoto, I get a message that says "iPhoto cannot be opened because of a problem. Check with the developer to make sure iPhoto works with this version of Mac OS X....." From the old machine, software update indicates there is no update available for iPhoto. Going to the app store gives me the opportunity to purchase iLife 11 (iPhoto, Garage Band, and iMovie) for $15.00 each.

Does anyone have any suggestions or know of a workaround?

Thanks!

Moving iPhoto from Snow Leopard to Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.