Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Service on iPhone 4s troubleshooting

I cannot make phone calls with my 4s due to No Service. I have Verizon and have used Verizon in this part of the US for years on my prior phone without this problem. The no bars/no calls problem happens in multiple local locations such as home, work, stuck in traffic. Could it be my Otter Defender iPhone cover? Any other ideas? Thanks for your help!

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Jan 28, 2012 6:01 AM

2 replies

Feb 6, 2012 7:03 PM in response to soflo

A very sad update. Still no service after taking off the Otter box defender. I called verizon from a land line today since no one had any suggestions on-line for getting a Verizon signal and I could not call from the phone with no service. They tell me it's the phone and if it had been reported by 2/2 rather than today I could have cancelled the service or they could have sent me a new phone but today-4 days later- it would cost $300 for early termination to cancel or they can send me a free used phone (provided they get my phone back within 5 days otherwise they charge me $300 and if they can find anything wrong with my new phone I'm sending back that they can blame on me that's another $300. Of course I have not been able to use the phone with no service so I have not created any damage, but you can imagine how much I trust them at this point.) but no new phone to replace my new phone. Bottom line if you have Verizon service for your new iPhone 4s make sure you cancel it and/or send back the defective phone in less than 14 days.

Feb 7, 2012 3:11 AM in response to soflo

A happy update...I spoke with Apple support by land line and this is what fixed the problem. Read through as it was a 2 step process:

1. I had to physically connect the phone to a computer with iTunes to activate it in the Apple system. This allowed me to make one phone call before I received the "No Service" for the phone component again. This came with the error message "SIM failure"

2. I had to remove the SIM card and reinstall it. This is easy. You can watch a you tube video if you don'y know how.

Since completing step 2, I can make cell calls AND the Verizon cell signal has remained on.

Thanks Apple Support! You did what Verizon could not do! Bragging rights to you!

No Service on iPhone 4s troubleshooting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.