Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Wireless Keyboard (A1016) detected but will not pair

I'm posting here as a last ditch effor to get my beloved wireless keyboard to work again. After changing out the batteries it will no longer pair with my Mac mini. It shows up in bluetooth setup program as "Apple Wireless Keyboard" but with a type "unknown". It does not show up when trying to pair through the keyboard control panel. I've even added an IOGear bluetooth dongle which has helped with the erratic behavior of my magic trackpad but has done nothing to fix the problem with the keyboard.

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.6.6), 4GB/120GB/9400M/2.0Ghz (2009)

Posted on Jan 28, 2012 11:33 AM

5 replies

Jan 18, 2013 2:10 PM in response to SuperGenericBob

Had the same problem this Am and I fixed it by doing two things. Since I did them both simultaneously, I'm not sure which one did it, so there goes the scientific method:

1. I used Energizer batteries instead of Duracell. I had a problem years ago with Maglites not working and the company advised me to try Enrgizers which fixed the flashlight. Not sure if it applies, but I did use Duracells when the problem started, then switched them to Energizers.

2 Trashed the Bluetooth preference file. Go to Home (your User folder) > Library > Preferences, find blietooth preferences, then drag it to the trash, but don't empty the trash. Do a restart. That forces the OS to build a new prefs file.

I did those two things, the Mini immediately found the keyboard, asked me to type in code, paired and is now working like a champ again.

HTH

Apple Wireless Keyboard (A1016) detected but will not pair

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.