Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restoring selected files from Time Machine

I have a total of 160Gb on my white MacBook. I've hit the point now where the hard disk is almost full and causing me grief. Although I can go through my hard disk and selective delete all of the music files, applications, photos, videos, etc that I no longer want to retain I was considering the following sequence of steps:

1. performing a full back-up to Time Machine
  2. performing a full Mac OSX reinstallation
  3. after my OSX reinstall has completed, selectively restoring the files (mainly music and photos) that I want.

I was hoping the strategy above might be faster than trawling through each directory and deleting the files that I don't want.

I've read this post: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2126294 and the consensus recommended against executing this type of strategy. However, I also note that the facts in this discussion thread related to a selective restoration of files after an upgrade of Operating Systems (Leopard to Snow Leopard). I'm not doing that. I'm on Leopard and will remain so.

Are there any pitfalls or traps that I ought to be aware of before committing to a reinstallation? The though of manually deleting the files I no longer need is a total D.R.A.G.

MacBook (white), Mac OS X (10.5.6), 4Gb Ram

Posted on Jan 28, 2012 2:54 PM

4 replies

Jan 28, 2012 4:08 PM in response to Kevin le Bevin

Can't really comment on advantages/disadvantages of doing it either way, but...

The big user's of space are Videos.

And to make it easier to "hand" delete them...

How much free space is on the HD, where has all the space gone?

OmniDiskSweeper is likely the easiest/best, and is now free...

http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omnidisksweeper/download/

Removing un-needed Languages can gain a lot of space also...

Monolingual...

http://monolingual.sourceforge.net/

Jan 28, 2012 5:52 PM in response to Kevin le Bevin

Kevin le Bevin wrote:

I have a total of 160Gb on my white MacBook. I've hit the point now where the hard disk is almost full and causing me grief. Although I can go through my hard disk and selective delete all of the music files, applications, photos, videos, etc that I no longer want to retain I was considering the following sequence of steps:

1. performing a full back-up to Time Machine
  2. performing a full Mac OSX reinstallation
  3. after my OSX reinstall has completed, selectively restoring the files (mainly music and photos) that I want.

That may work fairly well with most types of data -- data that's in separate files.

If your photos are in iPhoto, it will be very hard to find the ones you want, but you can use the procedure in the gray box at the bottom of Time Machine - Frequently Asked Question #15.

Assuming your music is in iTunes, it may be difficult to find the ones you want.

If you have 3rd-party apps, there's a problem. You can restore individual "simple" apps (that were just dropped into your Applications folder), and if you work at it, the associated preferences files (in ~/Library/Preferences). But "complex" apps, that came with their own installers, won't work properly, if at all, because they have other files (and perhaps "helper" apps) in other places. Those will have to be reinstalled from the original discs.

Or, use Migration Assistant to transfer all the apps (and exclude everything else). See Using Migration Assistant on Snow Leopard or Leopard.

Jan 29, 2012 8:00 AM in response to Kevin le Bevin

You must not be logged in to a user account that has read rights to those files. Permissions are not done by user account name, but by the mostly-hidden User ID Number (UID) that's assigned automatically. And one user, even an Admin user, doesn't normally have rights to other user's data.

See the pink box in Problems after using Migration Assistant for an explanation (it's the same problem whether you used Migration Assistant or not).

You'll have to experiment a bit, probably creating one or more new user accounts, to find the one with the same UID as the backups.

Once a user account has permission to see and restore the files, restore the files to an alternate location, either the special Shared user account or an external HD.

Then log on to the user account where you want the files to be, and copy them from the alternate location.

Restoring selected files from Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.