Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 4 frozen, unable to hard reset

Background: Maybe a week or two ago my iphone froze, but I was able to fix that with a hard reset.

This past week my 'sleep'/'start' button stopped working suddenly. Apple store was unable to do anything. But since the only issue was turning it off, I decided not to replace it. I have switched the time to go into lock mode from 5 min to 1 min.

So....

Today I am using my phone, and it had been idle for 1 min so it locked, and i hit the home button to unlock it, slid the little bar, and then it froze. I tried pressing buttons or clicking on things. I tried plugging it into the wall. No luck. I tried the hard reset (holding power and home), but as I suspected, it did nothing because the power button no longer works.

Is there a way to fix this? If I let the battery drain and then plug it back in, will that fix the problem? It froze at 4:48pm, and it's now 5:08. It also was at 23% when it froze. Of course there's no way of telling how long it will take to drain the battery, right? Because the only thing going on is the screen being backlit/bright.

So will letting the battery drain work? How long could that possibly take? Is there something they could do at the Apple store if I went there?

I think I have the latest operating system (updated in november when my phone crashed completely and i lost everything). I was using the web browser at the time. And I think my available space was around 30mb. Had maybe at least 5 apps running.

iPhone 4, iOS 5.0.1, sleep button no longer functions

Posted on Jan 28, 2012 5:13 PM

3 replies

Jan 28, 2012 8:57 PM in response to K8585

power finally died. plugged it back in, and soon i had the lightning bolt/red bar (or whatever it is, can't remember exactly) sign. then after a bit i had the white apple logo. then i got the plugged in/charging sound, and then the locked screen (with the red thing for low battery). i was able to slide the bar and it started up again.

iphone 4 frozen, unable to hard reset

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.