Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I change the IP address of the wireless net?

How do I change the IP address range of the wireless net? The 10. network conflicts with teh addressing scheme that my company uses. When I VPN in my PC gets confused. I'd like to get to 192.168.1.xx

Thanks,

JSS

Posted on Jan 28, 2012 4:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2012 5:21 PM

If your AirPort Extreme is set up as the primary router on your network, you can change the DHCP range as follows:

Open AirPort Utility - Click Manual Setup

Click the Internet icon

Click the DHCP tab below the icons

Change the DHCP Beginning Address to 192.168.x.x

Click Update to save the changes

If you do not see a DHCP tab when you try this, the AirPort Extreme is in Bridge Mode and some other device is handling IP addressing for the network.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 28, 2012 5:21 PM in response to Joe Skorupa

If your AirPort Extreme is set up as the primary router on your network, you can change the DHCP range as follows:

Open AirPort Utility - Click Manual Setup

Click the Internet icon

Click the DHCP tab below the icons

Change the DHCP Beginning Address to 192.168.x.x

Click Update to save the changes

If you do not see a DHCP tab when you try this, the AirPort Extreme is in Bridge Mode and some other device is handling IP addressing for the network.

Jan 29, 2012 1:20 AM in response to Joe Skorupa

Hi

I am in a hotel and paying for my connection which is limited to a single device. I can connect all my devices to the AX but if I try to access the internet with them the hotel network askes me to accept a charge.

How do you set up the Airport express to only show the LAN it is connected to one IP address without getting a DHCP conflict?

Can I "fool" the hotel network into thinking my AX is the device and then connect my macbook, Iphone and Ipad to the AX? i.e. I want to make a little wifi hotspot in my room.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Jan 29, 2012 2:09 AM in response to Matt Clifton

Thanks Matt. The problem is I do not know what IP address to put in. Bob says use 192.168.x.x and I assume he means you put in some number for "x". The problem is that regardless of what DHCP I choose I still get the error.

Is there a specific number I can use that will work? Also do I need to change the DHCP ending address as well?

Jan 29, 2012 6:33 AM in response to Glensa

Well, you actually don't HAVE to set DHCP manually - it will probably default to 10.0.1.x. But what you want to do is make sure you're not using the same subset that the hotel gives you.

To check, connect JUST your Mac to the hotel ethernet, open Network preferences, and check your IP address. If it's 192.168.1.x, then use the 10.0.1.x range as DHCP on your Airport. If it's something else, just make sure you're using a different range on the Airport.

Connect the Airport, run Airport Utility, and make sure that under TCP/IP, it itself is getting a sensible IP address from the hotel (usually setting ITS connection to DHCP is sufficient).

Then configure its own DHCP tab appropriately. Begin at x.x.x.2 (because the Airport will be x.x.x.1) and end the range at x.x.x.10. Apply the changes.

Let me know if that works!

Matt

how do I change the IP address of the wireless net?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.