Previous 1 2 3 Next 314 Replies Latest reply: May 2, 2016 10:41 AM by MaxBurgundy Branched to a new discussion.
Bruce Johnson5 Level 1 Level 1

I've tried seaching for an answer for this problem and can't find one that works. I've tried the basics and even restored my iPhone 4S (and restarted it). Yet, I still keep getting the above message every time I try to back up even though my iPhone is hardwired to my laptop. Any other ideas out there to solve this one?

Thanks!

iPhone 4S
Solved by Lawrence Finch on Jan 28, 2012 6:04 PM Solved

the next thing I would check is the cable and connector. However, you said you had restored the phone without error, so that is not likely to be the problem.

It's possible that your backup is corrupted, although that usually causes the backup to hang rather than quit. You can try deleting the backup (iTunes Preferences, Devices section); this will clear the problem if the backup is corrupt. If you don't have a backup of it and don't use Time Machine you may want to just rename the backup folder instead of deleting it. It is located at ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/. Rename the folder at the end to Backup.sav or something similar.

Reply by msavasari on Jun 24, 2012 11:43 AM Helpful

Sathya

Forget about finding backup location.

just go to iTunes preference

select Devices

Delete backup and make a backup again

I hope it works...

Reply by Mick_M on May 20, 2012 8:28 PM Helpful

So I'm hopeful I've solved this for my situation. Backing up over USB always worked on my iPad but not my iPhone, so it had to be something with the iPhone and not the cable. I've tried all suggestions mentioned here without success. It dawned on me that I have wifi sync enabled on my iPhone but not my iPad, so I turned that off and I've been able to back up my iPhone three times in a row now without incident. That hasn't happened in a very very long time...

If any else can confirm this fixes the issue then I'll make a bug report to Apple.

All replies

• Lawrence Finch Level 8 Level 8
    expertise.macosx
    Mac OS X

Make sure you are using a USB port directly on the computer, not a hub.

Try disabling your antivirus when syncing.

If that doesn't resolve it please tell us your computer type (PC or Mac) and operating system and version.

• Bruce Johnson5 Level 1 Level 1

Lawrence,

Thanks! I am using a USB directly into my macbook pro and 10.7.2

I turned off the anti virus software in MacKeeper and tried syncing and still I get the same response.

Any more ideas?

expertise.macosx
    Mac OS X

the next thing I would check is the cable and connector. However, you said you had restored the phone without error, so that is not likely to be the problem.

It's possible that your backup is corrupted, although that usually causes the backup to hang rather than quit. You can try deleting the backup (iTunes Preferences, Devices section); this will clear the problem if the backup is corrupt. If you don't have a backup of it and don't use Time Machine you may want to just rename the backup folder instead of deleting it. It is located at ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/. Rename the folder at the end to Backup.sav or something similar.

• Bruce Johnson5 Level 1 Level 1

Lawrence

You ROCK!!! I just deleted the backup, reconnected my iPhone and it worked!

Thanks!

Bruce

• sonojervin Level 1 Level 1

IT HELPED ME!!!!!!!!!!! THANKS!!!!!

• Mick_M Level 1 Level 1
    expertise.ipad
    iPad

I'm in the same boat, but deleting the back up did NOT help me. I have both an iPhone and an iPad - the iPad backs up just fine, the iPhone always craps out saying that it disconnected (but note that it synchronizes fine, it just doesn't back up). Any more ideas out there?

expertise.macosx
    Mac OS X

Are you connecting the phone to a USB port directly on your computer, and not to a hub? If it is a Windows desktop or tower computer you must use a USB port on the back, not the front (as front ports are usually an internal hub).

• Mick_M Level 1 Level 1
    expertise.ipad
    iPad

My USB cable is connected directly to my MacBook Pro - my iPad sync works just fine using the same cable, my iPhone always complains it can't do the back up because it got disconnected. I'm running the latest Lion (grrr instead of roar) and the latest IOS. I've deleted the iPhone back up both manually and via the preferences. In truth, once or maybe twice after deleting the back up it did work OK, but the problem came back on its own right afterwards - usually after deleting the back up it fails again on the very next sync due to disconnection. In each case it does the actual synchronization though. I've also tried powering down the iPhone and powering it up again - doesn't help.

• Wishsathya Level 1 Level 1

Hey Finch,

Am unable to find the above mentioned Folder at all?!?!

~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/

Pls Help

expertise.macosx
    Mac OS X

Assuming you have a Mac, launch Finder. From the Go menu choose "Go to folder" and paste

~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/ into the form. Include the full string including the tilde (~).

Hey Finch,

Sorry for not mentioning that i use Windows 7 and Itunes 10.

thanks

Sathya

expertise.macosx
    Mac OS X

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

Where USERNAME is the name you use to log in.

Finch......Still not working buddy ....I renamed the Backup folder and tried again..but its not working...:(

• Tonedef Entertainment Level 1 Level 1

Thanks Finch. It worked for me. Appreciate it a lot. Was having major issues with that backup problem. All is well now.

Previous 1 2 3 Next