Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Beeping sound after upgrading RAM on Mac Mini

I get a beeping sound after upgrading my RAM. I've replaced the Ram thinking it was defective but still get the same result. I have a mac mini 2.4ghz core 2 duo and upgrading to 2x4gb Ram 1057 mhz ddr (samsung brand).

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jan 28, 2012 7:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2012 11:44 AM

I had the same problem as you on my mac mini. It was always slot 0 that had issues of need reading the memory. When i tried the old memory or just slot 1 then everything worked. Read on a thread it was how certain memory gets seated into slot 0 that causes it not to work. I went through 2 brands of memory both had similar problems when seated into slot 0. They both worked in slot 1 alone but nothing when in slot 0.

What i did was what another thread advised to do. Take a small flat head screwdriver and after you put the memory in slot 0, put the screwdriver between the top of the mac mini and the memory then turn the screwdriver a little to exert pressure on the memory into the slot. Do it on both sides of the memory. I did this and tested out both sets of memory and now they both work. When i take out the memory and put it back in normally i get the beeps again. Do the same procedure with the screwdriver and they both work again. Its definitely a hardware issue and the seating of the memory in slot 0.

Hope this helps cause it helped me tremendously after wanting to pull my hair out...

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2012 11:44 AM in response to steve359

I had the same problem as you on my mac mini. It was always slot 0 that had issues of need reading the memory. When i tried the old memory or just slot 1 then everything worked. Read on a thread it was how certain memory gets seated into slot 0 that causes it not to work. I went through 2 brands of memory both had similar problems when seated into slot 0. They both worked in slot 1 alone but nothing when in slot 0.

What i did was what another thread advised to do. Take a small flat head screwdriver and after you put the memory in slot 0, put the screwdriver between the top of the mac mini and the memory then turn the screwdriver a little to exert pressure on the memory into the slot. Do it on both sides of the memory. I did this and tested out both sets of memory and now they both work. When i take out the memory and put it back in normally i get the beeps again. Do the same procedure with the screwdriver and they both work again. Its definitely a hardware issue and the seating of the memory in slot 0.

Hope this helps cause it helped me tremendously after wanting to pull my hair out...

Jan 28, 2012 8:17 PM in response to steve359

I did replace with the old memory and it worked. LIkewise, I also tried the following combination:

old 2gb ram first, new 4gb ram second, and that works. If only run into the issue if I use both the 4gb ram (new) & 4gb ram (old). How do I check to see if my RAM slots are bad? It works with the old ram in the second slot though... I'm baffled!

Jan 28, 2012 7:31 PM in response to Tinbrimar

Beeps mean the RAM is an issue. Possible reasons and fixes:

• New RAM is bad, while old RAM worked. Reinstall the old RAM and see if it starts.
  • New RAM was not seated correctly -- not a crime or a fault ... I have built 3 systems prior to replacing my MBP RAM and still expect the RAM to need reseated.
  • VERY UNLIKELY: You damaged the RAM slots while installing. VERY UNLIKELY.

Try the first 2 before thinking the third.

If the old RAM works but the new RAM does not, you may question the source of the RAM. macsales.com and crucial.com are very Mac-friendly and provide memory tested to be fully compatible with the model/year and have very few issues with bad memory.

Jan 28, 2012 8:23 PM in response to Tinbrimar

New memory is bad or the wrong specifications.

You have reseated so often that if the slots were bad, the old would not work.

Macs are VERY picky. If the new RAM is off by an iota in specifications, then only the presence of the old RAM lets the Mac know RAM speed ... which is what is happening.

Return the new RAM, and go to macsales.com or crucial.com, since they test the memory they offer for sale to be fully compatible.

<edited for "wrong specifications">

Jan 29, 2012 12:03 PM in response to steve359

I agree with steve about being careful when you try this and don't exert to much force. The top part of the mac mini is plastic so you won't hurt anything there. Just give the screwdriver a slight turn you will see the memory flex up a little then thats it, do it on both sides of the memory and you should be good. It will look like the memory hasn't moved at all but somehow it seats the memory correctly. Like i said whenever i just put the memory in like normal they don't work. Do the screwdriver trick and it works instantly. The original memory always read when i put them in like normal, just the new memory needed this trick. Good luck....

Nov 28, 2012 5:12 PM in response to Tinbrimar

I had the same issue. Tried using a screwdriver and it slid off and scratched one of the modules. I had to apply enormous force and the memory modules only went in slightly, still no resolution. At that moment I didnt know if it was bad memory or I damaged it. Had three iterations, combining old and new, nothing worked.

In the end I figured out you have to apply the force (press the module down) when the module is located under the angle, before it is laid flat in the slot. See the label next to memory slot - it depicts the angle.

The memory i used was Crucial btw, bought brand new on Amazon.

To cut the long story short: place the modules under approx. 45 degrees angle and push them into the socket under this angle. Only when it is fully in the socket, push the module to lay down flat.

Also found this video which specifically shows this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIIs3bplZZA

Nov 28, 2012 5:27 PM in response to steve359

I kinda totally know this - I'd said the same to anybody (well im not new to the computers, assembled quite a few of them, and btw upgraded memory in macbook pro unibody before, which is the same socket). Its just that when it didnt boot up the first time, I went to this thread and read about the screwdriver. Yeah, obviously, there has to be a way of doing things without a hammer.

Oct 4, 2013 11:56 PM in response to Tinbrimar

I needed to upgrade my mid-2010 Mac Mini. I took it to PC World and they looked up the RAM on crucial.com and found they no longer stocked the correct RAM in any store. The other assistant said to try the newer RAM and surprisingly it worked. When I got home it then beeped as described. I found this thread, but the pushing and twisting had no effect, so I swapped over the two (identical) sticks of RAM and it worked, I guess that had the same effect. I think the point about the RAM is important as they seem to think the older RAM may be being phased out.

Nov 19, 2015 7:48 AM in response to intermole

An overall "me too". I wanted to replace the 2 original 1GB Samsung sticks with 2GB sticks from OWC. Either of the new ones in the bottom slot (assuming this has been called slot 0) elicited the beeping sound every 3 seconds or so. Either of the original sticks work in the bottom slot. I tried various combinations of reinsertion and also saw that either new stick in the bottom slot beeped. It seemed that in the bottom slot, I don't get as much insertion resistance as in the top slot. In the top, either original or new card kind of snaps in. In the bottom slot, the original stick has a minimal snap, but the new stick has none. Seems the new sticks are slightly thinner, but comparing the original and new visually doesn't immediately suggest that. Anyway, after various attempts at applying pressure along the bottom stick's long edge by twisting a small screwdriver (which never seemed to move the stick further into the slot), or trying to slide the stick slightly parallel to the long edge (not into the slot) in both directions (it only moved very slightly) got it working (don't remember which direction was the best (up or down)). Since multiple re insertions hadn't fixed it, I don't suspect dirty/corroded contacts, but just the slightest misalignment of contacts on the stick such that stick movement was required to mate with the slot contact. Anyway, it's working, still seeing the 4GB after multiple reboots, so I just hope it stays that way.

Nov 19, 2015 9:04 AM in response to VikingOSX

This is a mid-2010 mini (macmini4,1), and I did use PC8500 DDR3 1066 Mhz memory

The Mini recognizes it as the correct size and speed, and things do run more quickly. I was on 10.7.5, with occasional things running slow, and showing the color wheel. I then upgraded to 10.11.x, and things were a little worse. This kind of confirms my suspicion of excessive swapping, although I couldn't confirm it by seeing explicitly in a Terminal command line 'top' display. On other Unix/Linux's, I'd seen "kswapd" near the top of a 'top' display sorted by cpu percent. Even approaching 1% for kswapd usage had a significant impact on performance.

Beeping sound after upgrading RAM on Mac Mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.