Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder icon weirdness

Has anyone else experienced these two Finder desktop icon issues:

1) Icons not showing up, replaced by a square dotted outlines, until you do something with them (drag them, or Get Info on them) (most commonly on login)

2) Disk icons showing incorrectly, such as USB drives showing up as generic hard-drive icons

There's also the occasional new file doesn't show up bug, but I think that's old. It's possible the above two are old too, but I didn't start noticing them until Lion. Between these and random icon-rearranging, folder window resizing, view options changing... I feel like I'm doing constant battle with the Finder (reminds me of that scene from Airplane! where the plane is punching Striker).

Posted on Jan 28, 2012 8:44 PM

11 replies

Jan 28, 2012 10:17 PM in response to David Yeh

1) Icons not showing up, replaced by a square dotted outlines, until you do something with them (drag them, or Get Info on them) (most commonly on login)

2) Disk icons showing incorrectly, such as USB drives showing up as generic hard-drive icons

Go to ~/Library/Preferences. Move the com.apple.finder.plist file from the Preferences folder to the Trash.

If that doesn't help, the startup disk may need repairing.

Use Lion Recovery

Jan 29, 2012 12:05 AM in response to David Yeh

Yes, I've had the problems off and on since Lion was introduced. Deleting the com.apple.finder.plist file and repairing the drives has not made a permanent solution. I have also installed and reinstalled Lion dozens of time on three different Macs, clean installs and upgrades, and they all have had these issues.

Yes, dragging them slightly makes them visible again. Sometimes my external drives showup with the FireWIre icon and sometimes with the hard drive icon. I've even seen both icons show up on my FireWire external with 2 partitions.

Annoying.

Jan 31, 2012 4:35 PM in response to David Yeh

I also notice if you rename a file, say MyDoc.txt, even without changing the extension, its icon disappears for a second, and then comes back. That in and of itself is slightly annoying, but I didn't notice this in prior versions of OS X (10.5 at least, I skipped over 10.6 when I bought a new computer). It does perhaps suggest a different mechanism of fetching icons, and maybe with all the constant searching for an icon, it fails every now and then and Lion just puts up a generic icon. Maybe.

Aug 2, 2012 3:19 PM in response to David Yeh

Yes, removing DropBox didn't fix it for me either. It does seem to be less of a problem with Mountain Lion. However all during the process, Dropbox has had many revisions. I'm currently using version 1.5.10.

The idea is that problem was involved with the process that Dropbox uses to add the little green changeable status symbols on the lower left edge of the icons.

User uploaded file

Finder icon weirdness

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.